Finch breaking pole vault records for CSUB

Back to Article
Back to Article

CSU Bakersfield sophomore pole vaulter, Julianne Finch, practices on the track near the Icardo Center, on Wednesday, Feb. 28.

Photo: Simer Khurana

CSU Bakersfield sophomore pole vaulter, Julianne Finch, practices on the track near the Icardo Center, on Wednesday, Feb. 28. Photo: Simer Khurana

John Hernandez

Reporter

“I know I can jump that, I know I can jump higher,” were the thoughts going through Finch’s head right before her record jump.

On February 2, sophomore pole vaulter Julianne Finch broke the school record and reset her own personal record by clearing 12 feet and 6 inches.

Finch had previously broken the record of 12-5 last year during her freshman season.

Since then, Finch has won two medals. At the Oxy Distance Carnival, on March 10, she won silver (11-7.75). She placed first at the Cal State LA Invitational March 3, with a height of 11-2.25.

Finch shares a special bond with pole vaulting coach Dion Giuliano.

Coach Giuliano was not set to come back and coach. It took some convincing from the other coaches to bring Guiliano back and their convincing was successful.

“He makes it to where I want to come out here and I love the sport that I do. He makes me love it that much more with his coaching and how he is as a person,” said Finch.

Giuliano has made a commitment to Finch and does not plan on backing out of the commitment.

“I won’t go anywhere until she’s gone because we’ve made a connection together. Just keep her progress, keep her improving and getting better each year,” said Giuliano.

Finch is majoring in business with a concentration on marketing. She is hoping to work with an athletic apparel company and help with its marketing.

“I want to work for an Adidas or Nike in their marketing/advertising promotions area,” she said.

“She’s basically setting the bar and raising it every single time,” Melson said.

When it comes to Finch’s work ethic, it is one of the best according to CSUB Director of Track and Field, Marcia Mansur-Wentworth.

“She works very hard, she has great enthusiasm and her teammates lover her. She is just full of energy, a lot of fun to have around and her work ethic is some of the best I’ve seen,” Mansur-Wentworth said.

“She doesn’t argue with you, she doesn’t bellyache, she doesn’t complain. She sets very high standards for herself,” Mansur-Wentworth said.

Both Finch and coach Giuliano share the same goal for her this season which is to make the regional championship and hopes of reaching the national championships.

Giuliano and Finch are confident she can jump 4 meters (13 feet) if she can make it to nationals.

Next, Finch and the CSUB track and field team will have the Cal Poly Invitational Friday, March 23-24.

Following that, the teams will travel to UCLA, for a two-day event March 30-31. The Outdoor Track and Field NCAA Championships are June 6-10 in Eugene, Oregon.

About the Writer