Roadrunners Return: Students sprint back to school

Carlos Hernandez

Carlos Hernandez, Digital Content Producer

It’s been 721 day’s since CSU Bakersfield’s last Rowdy Run. An annual tradition to welcome incoming freshmen that was not held in 2020 as a result of the pandemic. This year, freshmen and sophomores were able to participate in the run as part of the university’s welcome back week of events. 

Throughout the week students have been welcomed back to campus with a variety of information booths to ease the transition from an entire academic year of distance learning. Senior track and field student-athlete Hugo Santana spoke of his excitement to return.

“I’m looking forward to seeing my friends, being with my teammates, and the in-person tutoring sessions,” said Santana.

Student-athlete Hugo Santana shares his excitement to return to campus (Carlos Hernandez)

Senior track and field student-athlete Mallory Elick also spoke of difficulties she faced during the pandemic and the excitement to return in person.

“It was really challenging as a social person…but I’m really excited to come back to campus and be social again,” Elick said. 

Though much of CSUB’s welcome week was virtual, certain events have been in person such as the Rowdy Run, sports games, and vaccine clinics to give students the opportunity to be vaccinated on campus. 

In an effort to return to campus safely, CSUB University Police Department Chief Martin Williamson urged the campus community at Associated Students Incorporated’s most recent meeting to follow COVID-19 guidelines such as self-screening via CSUB’s mobile app, wearing masks, and getting vaccinated if possible.  

Williamson said he hopes these efforts will result in a safe return to campus. “We’re waiting to see if we can do Coffee with a Cop this year safely, but hopefully we do.”