Eight Roadrunners earn first place

from+gorunners.com
Back to Article
Back to Article

Eight Roadrunners earn first place

from gorunners.com

from gorunners.com

from gorunners.com

from gorunners.com

Juliet Parrilla

Reporter

After a successful meet in Claremont, California last week, the Roadrunners strived for more success in Los Angeles at the Twilight Open, hosted by Cal State Los Angeles, April 12-13.
Despite unpredictable rough weather, the team as a whole achieved multiple first-place victories in this two-day event.

“It was extremely windy with tough conditions, but these women competed very well,” said Director of Track and Field Marcia Mansur-Wentworth to gorunners.com.

“This was a great way to continue to build our momentum as we get closer to the Outdoor WAC Championships.”

Senior Angel Valdez was first place in the 5000-meter race with a recorded time of 17:50.57. Sophomore Alejandra Frausto was second place ,with a time of 18:09.85.

Paradise Pelzer, sophomore, achieved first place in the 3000m steeplechase. She set the standards with more than a 50 second time advantage.

Redshirt-sophomore, Camille Campos, finished first in the 1500m run, with a recorded time of 5:04.15. She is a new addition to the team but has already proven herself to be a valuable member.

Only a few seconds behind her was teammate Bianca Frausto, finishing in second place at 5:13.77.

Another recent addition to the team is Jazmyne Bartee, a redshirt-senior. A former stand out player for the women’s basketball team this past season, Bartee placed first in the high jump and proved her value to the team. She cleared the high jump with a height of 1.54m.

In the discus throw, freshman Corbin Chronister finished in first place with a thrown distance of 44.31m. Teammate David Sellens finished at second place (40.83m).

Both Chronister and Sellens, were the only two to compete in the men hammer throw. Chronister finished in first place and threw a distance of 54.08m, while the redshirt-senior Sellens, threw a distance of 51.45m, earning him second place.

Freshman Jessica Taylor competed in the hammer throw and discus throw. Throwing a distance of 39.08m, she earned herself first place in the hammer throw. She also earned first place in the discus throw as well, with a recorded distance of 34.27m. The freshman showed her value to the team.

Senior Alec Benavides competed in the javelin throw and finished in first. He had with a thrown distance of 56.21m. This was the senior’s second first place victory this season.

Freshman Arturo Valencia won the men’s pole vault with a height of 3.90m.

In the 800m run, Ariana Mariscal finished at a strong second place. The redshirt-senior finished with a time of 2:16.05.

Another second-place victory came from Falon Wilson in the 100m dash, with a time of 11.92. Only a few seconds away from first place, the sophomore gave it her all. Her teammate, Mariah LeSure trailed closely behind her, finishing at third place with a time of 12.20.

Redshirt-senior, Alisha Byrd, came out in second place in the triple jump with a distance of 10.85m. In the women’s pole vault, Julianne Finch finished at second place. The sophomore cleared the vault with a height of 3.86m.

Justin Fobel, sophomore, earned a third-place in the triple jump. Fobel had a jump distance of 13.81m.

The track and field teams travel to the Mt. Sac Relays April 19-20 and the Brian Clay Invitational is also April 20.

Photo from gorunners.com

About the Writer