Meet the 2023-2024 ASI candidates: Director positions

Director of Community Outreach candidate, Kenlee Calvin

Name: Kenlee Calvin 

Major/minor: Major: Business Administration – Healthcare Management  

Year in school: Junior  

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Community Outreach  

What are your qualifications for the position you are running for? 

The Qualifications and experience I bring to this position are my leadership skills. I am currently the Director of Greek Relations for ASI and the Financial Vice President of Gamma Phi Beta. From these positions, I have gained valuable leadership skills and connections that will contribute to the position of Director of Community Outreach.  

Why are you running for this position? 

I am running for this position because I not only want to be an advocate for students but because I think it’s important for ASI and the students to be connected to the community.  

How will you make a change in your position? 

I will make a change in my position by connecting ASI and the student body to community events. One event I would plan to connect the community and ASI would be through Relay For Life. Through my sorority, I have already built connections with Relay for Life and this would be a great event for students to give back to our community. 

Director of Community Outreach candidate, Alejandro Martinez

Name: Alejandro Martinez 

Major/minor: Business Administration 

Year in school: Second Year 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Community Outreach 

My qualifications are my leadership ability, my newfound experience of being in ASI this past year, and my passion to connect and network with others. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I am running for this position because I feel that I can lead an initiative to get ASI and students more involved with the community. 

I will reach out to more organizations for volunteer work, and will present many community events to the board and students, and will simply get involved with the community more now that things are slowly getting back to normal, and now that opportunities are once again presenting themselves. 

Director of Student Support candidate, Karen Navarro

Name: Karen Navarro 

Major/minor: Psychology 

Year in school: Junior 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Student Support 

As someone who has benefited tremendously from various resources and programs on campus, I know how to navigate them and will use my experiences to help students get the most out of all that CSUB has to offer.  

Why are you running for this position? 

I’m running for Director of Student Support because every student deserves to be heard and seen regardless of their circumstance, and I am here to say you have my full support. I refuse to be silent and will do whatever it takes to engage with students and help them succeed at CSUB. I will advocate to improve our current resources and fit the needs of all students. I also want to educate students who are unaware of our campus resources and help them get connected. This position is important because by sitting in these committees, I represent the student voice by bringing your comments, concerns, and questions to the table. As someone who has struggled with housing and food insecurity, I understand what it’s like to feel worried, stressed, or defeated by your circumstances, and not knowing where to find help or how to even start.  

I will create surveys that will give students the opportunity to share suggestions or concerns they may have about any of the resources available, and follow up with all the information I find. I will create inclusive and educational events that highlight student issues and bring students together. My main goal is to work closely with the Basic Needs department to help improve their services by taking what other universities do and implementing it on our campus. I would like to start a hygiene refill station where students bring their own containers and refill on products they need. With your support, I can make my ideas come to life while also advocating for yours 

Director of Student Support candidate, Sarah Varela

Name: Sarah Varela 

Major/minor: Business Administration 

Year in school: Fourth Year 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Student Support 

Due to CollegeCorps, I’m highly active with the Basic Needs department, including the Food Pantry and the Edible Garden. I have excellent communication and negotiation skills, and I’m highly skilled at organizing events (such as speakers from Amazon and Target). As the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) treasurer, I’ve been trained to hear every side of the story and work towards a win-win solution. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I’m running for this position because food insecurity, mental health, personal safety, fitness, and career opportunities are important to me on a personal level, and they affect everyone. I have the experience, the resources, and the skills needed to represent CSUB students in the various departments and to get their voices heard. 

I’m going to remove the stigmas around food insecurity, mental health, and other issues such as sexual harassment. We shouldn’t be afraid to ask for help, and I’m going to make CSUB a place that support students in their basic, mental, and career needs. Communication will be key, and I plan to get everyone on board with helping all students from every background. 

Director of Arts and Humanities candidate, Yasmin Marcelo

Name: Yasmin Marcelo 

Major/minor: English Literature (theatre minor during my undergrad) 

Year of school: 1st year grad student  

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Arts and Humanities  

I am quite active in the university’s theatre program, I have participated in publishing CSUB’s annual fictional literary journal, and I was a former member of two different choirs. Dancing with Kaibigan Paso, the Filipino club’s community dance group, frequently performing in Expression Nights, singing the national anthem for numerous games, and being involved in the community theatre scene has also provided me with a great insight in further promoting the arts in CSUB. Additionally, being a journalist for The Runner, working in the Student Union, being the College Corps Graduate Assistant at CECE, and having the position of Secretary in the Anime and Manga Club has helped me become a more well-rounded student and has taught me skills that I can apply as ASI’s liaison with the A&H department.  

Why are you running for this position? 

I would like to promote racial and sexual diversity among the new generation of artists and intellectuals, as well as create a safe space for creativity and self-expression.  

I want to highlight the skills and talents of students from different demographics by pushing for more inclusivity. I also want to actively hear out students’ concerns so I can hold events that would best showcase what they have to offer. Finally, I want to combat racism, predatory behavior, and sexism all throughout the program by working with the proper personnel. 

Director of Clubs and Organizations candidate, Daejah King

Name: Daejah King  

Major/minor: Sociology major, child adolescence minor

Year in school: Junior 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Clubs and Organizations 

Some qualifications I have would be that I possess qualities such as strong leadership skills, excellent communication, and the ability to think critically and creatively and a commitment to the mission and values of the organization.  

Why are you running for this position? 

I’m running for ASI because this opportunity gives me the chance to grow, learn new experiences which can develop better leadership skills, communication skills. I have dealt with many hardships over the time, which sometimes make me doubt my abilities or feel stuck in my personal growth. This can help people purpose and fulfill, and allow me to make a positive impact in my school and community. This opportunity helps me get an advantage and meet new people and build relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff, which can help expand my social and professional networks.  

I will have the opportunity to advocate for issues that are important to students, such as improving campus activities, promoting diversity and inclusion, and enhancing academic support services. My goal is to serve as a liaison between student organizations and the school administration, which can build and encourage student engagement and leadership. My job is to help build a sense of community on campus by organizing events and activities that bring students together. 

The Director of the School of Social Sciences and Education candidate, Monique Star Escalante

Name: Monique Star Escalante 

Major/minor: Political Science.  

Year in school: Junior

Which ASI position are you running for? 

The Director of the School of Social Sciences and Education. 

As a Political Science student, I am part of the SSE school and working towards a future in politics and a desire to serve people who need a voice. I have held many leadership positions throughout my life in both school and workplace environments. My optimistic, positive, and open minded personality makes it easy for people to come to me for help/guidance and to talk/rant/laugh/cry.  

Why are you running for this position? 

Like mentioned in my qualifications statement, I am working towards a future in civil service. Therefore, it only makes sense that I would want to start my journey at CSUB. I am currently in my second semester at CSUB as a transfer student and I have fallen in love and appreciate the school, my major, and all the exceptional professors and classmates I have met thus far. I would be honored to represent them as their Director of the School of Social Sciences and Education.  

I love to listen, teach, be innovative, and think outside the box for solutions. I would utilize those skills to listen and to speak up with the concerns that my classmates and I might have. I would love to see more of a community and interaction within the SSE school. I know that coming out of a pandemic we are all in an adjustment period but I hope to see more fun and growth within the next year! 

Director of Sustainability candidate, Sarah Alame

Name: Sarah Alame 

Major/minor: Biology 

Year in school: Graduate 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Sustainability 

I currently serve as the 2022-2023 ASI Director of Sustainability and sit as chair of the club, Students for Sustainability. In addition, I have worked on campus as a graduate student assistant in Sustainability & Energy Management since September 2021, and I also sit on various sustainability-focused committees. Over the past year, I have coordinated several campus events that have positively engaged both the CSUB and surrounding community, teaching them about the importance of living a sustainable lifestyle and how simple it can be to make small, but impactful, changes in our daily routines! These events also facilitated discussions among students, staff, faculty, and community members about sustainability and climate action. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I am choosing to run for Director of Sustainability because I am passionate about implementing environmental practices that will contribute to a more green and sustainable campus. I strive to continue to create a safe space where students, staff, and faculty can discuss their concerns regarding the impacts of climate change and collaborate on ideas to mitigate the occurrence. 

As the Director of Sustainability, I strive to share my passions with others in promoting green initiatives on campus. This includes encouraging students to conserve energy and water, reducing the use of single-use plastics, and teaching about composting, recycling, and reusing materials in ways that engaging and enjoyable. I will also continue to raise awareness about how these initiatives impact the environment, and how everyone can contribute to making the world a better place! 

Director of Transfer Students candidate, Ricki Lee Korba

Name: Ricki Lee Korba 

Major/minor: Double Major in Chemistry and Music, Minor in Anthropology 

Year in school: Junior 

Which ASI position are you running for? 

Director of Transfer Students 

As a transfer student myself, transferring from a school where I was the Student Senate President for 2 years. I feel I am extremely qualified for this position. 

Why are you running for this position? 

To be a voice for current transfer students and to help create the best place CSUB can be for future transfer students. 

I look forward to speaking with other transfer students to hear their own experiences, to create a stronger sense of community for said transfer students, and to participate in Campus-Wide discussions pertaining to transfer students.