Director of Athletics Dr. Kenneth “Ziggy” Siegfried announces that he will be stepping down

CSUB’s Director of Athletics, Kenneth Siegfried, Photo from gorunners.com

David Mendoza, Sports Reporter

As the Spring Semester comes to an end for CSU Bakersfield students, Dr. Kenneth “Ziggy” Siegfried announces that he will be stepping down from the position of Director of Athletics after serving many years working with CSUB staff and athletes. Dr. Siegfried was named the third ever Director of Athletics on August 20, 2015 and before his time as director he worked as Interim Director of Athletics and Senior Associate Athletics director at CSUB since 2012.  

Siegfried sits down to discuss how his time at CSUB was like and what are the next steps in his career.  

Siegfried describes his time working at CSUB as a fantastic time in his life where he feels blessed to have had the opportunity to work alongside great people and great student athletes.  

Originally from Memphis, Tennessee, this was a big move to come serve the community of Bakersfield, but as time passed it began to feel more like back home. He describes Bakersfield as being a great fit for his family and has enjoyed the time he has spent here. 

“One of the best things was how much I fell in love with Bakersfield and the community there. So it has been fantastic,” Siegfried states.  

When asked what is the highlight of his career at CSUB he describes two different goals that he and his team accomplished. The first one was moving CSUB athletic sports from the Western Association Conference to the Big West Conference. This was a big goal because it allows student athletes that compete in sports such as softball, baseball, and track & field currently competitively compete in. He also describes a huge accomplishment, seeing student athletes excel not only in their respective sports but in academics as well. One of the reasons for this success comes from the plan that he and his team put together which is called the “Four Pillars of Success.” In these pillars it promotes academic excellence, providing a positive student athlete experience, engaging the community, and pursuing competitive success.  

After having a successful career at CSUB Siegfried explains that he decided to move his career to the University of Evansville, the home of the “Purple Aces.” He decided to take on this opportunity for a couple of reasons and one of the main ones was being able to move back closer to family in the mid-south of the United States. He also goes on to describe how he sees this University being at a pivotal moment in their history of athletics. He wants to help them accomplish their goals and be a successful school that competes in the Missouri Valley Conference.  

As he makes this move with his family to this new adventure in his career, Siegfried looks to bring the same work ethic and success that he accomplished here at CSUB.  

“Ultimately, build a culture very similar to what I believe we did in Bakersfield. Focusing on academic excellence, the student athletic experience and I think if you focus on those two things, the rest takes care of itself,” Siegfried states.  

Dr. Kenneth “Ziggy” Siegfried will be missed by the Bakersfield community and we thank him for all the time he has spent making CSUB a better place.