Pole Vaulter Miranda Miller Sets a New School Record

Miranda Miller walks off the mat after landing one of her jumps. Photo provided by Alyssa Shannon/ CSUB Athletics

Madalyn Powers, Sports Editor

For pole vaulter, Miranda Miller, it’s not only about the sport but the academics; becoming one of the Big West Scholars of the Year. 

When asked how it felt to get this award she exclaimed, “Just to know I’m recognized as both a student and an athlete is nice.”  

When discussing what got her into the sport, she explained how her junior year English teacher who was the hurdle coach got her to come out. She had been a competitive gymnast before so she was interested to see what this sport had to offer.  

Miller started by competing in both Triple Jump and Pole Vault. After making it to state her junior year in triple jump, she thought it was her calling. During her senior year she reached state in both Triple and Pole Vault. This was an eye opener for Miller as she wasn’t just a great horizontal jumper, but also a vertical. That same year she also broke and still holds the school record of 11’ 9 in pole vaulting. 

The reasoning for choosing CSUB? The official visit felt warm and welcoming, with a support system and a team to push her she felt right at home to continue both her academic and athletic careers here. When discussing her ground breaking record pole vault record 13’11.75 on March 19. at the Franson Classic Miller, she expressed her gratitude for the people around her.  

“It feels amazing but wouldn’t be here without the support system. I’m excited to leave my mark.”  

As for what she hopes to accomplish the rest of the season; a spot at the NCAA regionals, the possibility of Nationals, and to push the threshold and get over the 14’ mark with a goal of 14’6. As for her academic goals, Miller yearns for a solid GPA. 

“I really want to hit a 4.0.”