How Environmental Wellness Affects Students

Autumn Layton

Bobby Biology major, Nicolette Reneau, Biology Major, Julissa Castruita, Biology major, Rachel Howe, Biology major and Rafael Vazquez, grounds keeper working together to plant a tree at CSUB.

Marlene Herrera, Staff Writer

Students are often looking for ways to better enhance productivity and efficiency in their academics. When striving for success, it is important for students to be aware of how their environmental wellness intertwines with their performance in school and work settings.  

Our environment encompasses the surroundings and conditions in which we live as well as animals and plants. When considering our own wellness, which means having a state of good health, including mental, physical, and emotional health, it is reasonable to find ways in which we reach wellness in our environment while at the same time caring for the environment of others.  

The physical aspect of our environmental wellness encircles the air we breathe, the water we drink, the chemicals we are exposed to, and even the cleanliness of our homes; Not recognizing their importance can lead to health impacts, such as respiratory and even heart diseases. Similarly, when our cultural environment is not balanced, which includes the people we live with, friends, groups and communities we are a part of, we are likely to experience a negative impact and strain on the strength and quality of our social relationships and enhanced stress related to our jobs and school environments.  

The University of Maryland comments, “[Environmental wellness] involves understanding the dynamic relationship between the environment and people and recognizing we are responsible for the quality of the air, water, and earth that surround us and in turn, that social, natural, and built environments affect our health and well-being.”  

With the semester wrapping up and finals coming closer, it is easy for us to feel bombarded and overwhelmed with upcoming assignments and exams. It is important to take a step back and evaluate both our physical and cultural environment.  

In order to assess how to improve our surroundings, such as your study area or workplace, it is crucial to first learn to identify what enhances your anxiety and ultimately makes it harder to get started and focus. When trying to prioritize dedicating time to study, what makes you uncomfortable or anxious in your study area? Is it cluttered? Are there things out of place? For instance, empty water bottles tend to scatter across study areas for college students. An easy solution that both would declutter your space and help the environment would be to use a reusable water bottle to avoid accumulating the plastic that comes with disposables.  

In his article, “6 Ways to Enhance Your Environment Wellness,” Benjamin Momme stresses, “Even small changes add up, so don’t discount the small things in your power to recycle more or bring your own travel mug for coffee.”  

When thinking of ways to destress and clear your mind, taking a walk with someone you care about and makes you feel safe can really improve your wellness, so you can then be more prepared and motivated to complete challenging tasks. In doing this for yourself, taking a recycled bag to pick up trash or recyclables can ensure you are also taking an initiative to protect and care for the community’s environmental wellness; This can also provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment, which will only encourage healthy habits.  

Momme explains, “When our own personal surroundings are well cared for, clean and organized, we experience a greater sense of comfort and less anxiety.” Ensuring our environment makes us feel safe and at peace encourages a healthy and motivating atmosphere for students to strive academically in. Thus, it is important for students to prioritize an awareness of all aspects of their environment.