Big West Tournament day two: CSUB Women’s Basketball team leaves it all on the court

Madalyn Powers

Lexus Green Sophomore Point Guard Photo provided by Madalyn Powers

Madalyn Powers, Sports Editor

Day two of the Big West Tournament was the women’s quarterfinals with CSUB playing for the #1 seed, Hawai’i for the fourth time. Coming up short the first three quarters with Hawaii having a lead of 39 – 33. Things heated up in the fourth quarter with the Runners ready to play until the very last second.  

Jayden Eggleston rebounded, resulting in a 2 pointer making the score close at 38 – 39 Hawai’i. Vanessa Austin then pushed CSUB to a one point lead . With 4:20 left on the clock Andie Ensley shoots and scores a three pointer now surpassing Hawai’i by 5 points. After a few points from Hawai’i are made Miracle Saxon comes in making a point lead with a little over 2 minutes left in the game. Hawai’i got 2 free throws making the new score 46 – 45. 1:30 left on the clock and Eggleston makes a 3 pointer resulting in a lead. For Hawai’i to come back at 1:03 left, throwing a 2 pointer creating yet  another 1 point lead for Hawai’i. Making the final score 48 – 47 Roadrunners.  

After the intense fourth quarter emotions were high during the post game press conference. When asked how he was feeling after the loss Head coach Greg McCall expressed, “Sadness but the biggest one of all is happiness or joy. Because of the group that left everything on the floor.” McCall couldn’t express enough how proud he is of all of the women on his team. At one point stating, “Once we hit our peak we’re going to be a dangerous team.” And the Women Roadrunners showcased exactly that tonight. When discussing all they’ve been through McCall couldn’t emphasize enough, “They put their trust into me and I put my trust into them.”  

Moreso how much his star players Vanessa Austin and Jayden Eggleston mean to him and how hard they have worked this season. He could be quoted saying “Vanessa, she’s like a niece to me.”  Coach McCall and Austin’s dad played at CSUB together so he has known Vanessa her whole life.  

When talking about Eggleston, McCall expressed, “Jayden, she’s our MVP.” after discussing her willpower and grit when going head to head with the top MVP of the Big West Tournament Hawai’i forward Amy Atwell. 

Discussing the game plan leading into the game  Austin  emphasized, “We just really locked in. We needed to get possession by possession. We were getting the stops we wanted, we just needed to convert.”  

Asked about her feelings about being able to  play the tournament in her hometown Eggleston couldn’t say enough, “McCall he brought me here, he trusted me. I’ve grown so much as a basketball player and as a woman. I’m just so thankful for him and this program.”   

When discussing the game itself and playing all 40 minutes Eggleston said, “You gotta give it all you got. Like he said, I left everything out on the court.” 

What a crazy tournament for the CSUB Women’s Basketball team at The Big West Tournament. By winning the first game ever in the Dollar Loan Center, Eggleston’s full circle moment of scoring the first points in a game ever at the arena which is located in her hometown Las Vegas, Nevada. Vanessa Austin winning the game against CSUN in overtime with a rebound. Lastly, yet another close game for the Runners.