Mens Soccer falls in first move to Big West

Nick Lopez, Sports Reporter

The CSUB men’s soccer team came into the season ranked tenth, dead last by the Big West coaches polling.

CSUB went on to provide a 5-3-0 record in the regular sea-son, good enough to be seeded fourth heading into the end of the regular season.

The Roadrunners hosted the #5 seeded team UC Davis for the opening round of playoffs.

However, they could not hold off the Aggies offense, resulting in a season ending 3-1 loss.

Despite the low predicted rankings, the team was able to put together a well-respected seasonal outcome.

“Davis was very good and deserved to advance,” CSUB Head Coach Richie Grant told gorunners.com. “In the moment there is disappointment, be-cause so much energy went into getting here tonight, but we’ve established a good foundation for ourselves in the Big West and that will set us up well for our future in the league.”

The Roadrunners were a young team led this year by their seniors Aodhán O’Hara who had five goals of his own who led the team in goals scored this season O’Hara caps off his CSUB career with 14 goals.

Carlos Armendariz and Tom Shepard were both forces on the offensive side both have four goals on the season.

All of Armendariz’s goals were resulted from penalty kicks, an impressive 4-4 in his efforts.

The Roadrunners proved that they are a team to be reckoned with in the Big West conference.

The roadrunners had an impressive Big West debut and certainly exceeded the conference’s expectations.

With only seven seniors this season the team, next season the Roadrunners will return as a more experienced team in the Big West looking to top this season’s performance.

Senior Forward Aodan O’Hara earned an All-league honorable mention. Senior midfielder Carlos Armendariz was selected for the second team All-league. Freshman defender Bryson Hankins was selected for the All Freshman team.