COVID-19 testing hours extended on campus

Alondra Roman, Staff Writer

California State University, Bakersfield expanded its on-campus testing hours for COVID-19 from Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sept. 13 according to an email from Jennifer Self, public information officer. 

“The best way to protect the safety of others is to know whether you have COVID and then to stay home,” writes Self. “All testing is conducted in the Stockdale Room inside the Runner Café.”

Testing is available free for CSUB students, staff, and faculty and is closed to the public. No appointment is needed for testing. 

“CSUB is using CARES funding to offer the tests for free,” wrote Self. “CSUB is working with a company called Shield T3 to administer the COVID-19 testing, which involves minimally invasive saliva collection,” wrote Self.  

Anyone being tested is asked to not consume any food or liquids, including chewing gum, no brushing of the teeth, using mouthwash, smoking or lip products an hour prior to being tested. 

Results are expected within 24 hours of the test.  

According to an email from Marty Williamson, Chief of Police-Emergency Manager, “our records show only about 70% of those on campus are using the online screening.”  

Anyone wishing to enter the campus will need to complete a COVID-19 health screening prior to entering. The COVID-19 health screening is a necessary precaution when visiting CSUB campus.  

“If you are not feeling well, please stay home,” wrote Self.