CSUB offers food options on and off campus

Stephani Williams/The Runner. On Tuesday, September 3, 2019, Brandy Plaat, a Biology major, stocks up on fruit at the pop-up Food Pantry. Located near the Student Union and the Café.

Chase Anderson, Features Editor

With the Spring semester starting and many new students joining the CSU Bakersfield family it is important to know that there are various food options for students both on and off campus. The Food Pantry is a resource for students who many may struggle with food insecurity, an issue that has often been addressed; the CSUB faculty and student government since COVID. The Food Pantry offers enrolled students and faculty one visit per week with 16 points to redeem per visit. How does the point system work?
Each visit you are allotted 16 points to redeem for various food items that cost either 0, 1, 2, or 3 points. Items such as instant oatmeal packets, granola bars, applesauce, and pudding cost 1 point and you allowed up to 4 of these items. Canned foods such as vegetables, soups, and tuna along with boxed mac & cheese and ramen noodles are 2 points and up to 3 of these items are allowed. 3 point items include items such as rice, beans (both pinto and garbanzo), lentils, pasta, peanut butter, and more which students are allowed up to 2 of these items.
One of the best options provided by the Food Pantry is the fresh produce that is 0 points and it is unlimited! The Food Pantry works directly with the Edible Garden on campus which grows food with, “Organic practices and water-saving irrigation methods,” according to their website.
The Food Pantry is currently open for the semester and hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10a.m. to 2 p.m. and Tuesday and Thursday from 2 p.m. to 6p.m. The Food Pantry also has food distributions that are free and open to the pubic that are drive-thru only and dates and times for these can be seen by following their Instagram csub_foodpantry.
The Edible Garden is overseen by Project Manager and Sustainability Coordinator Jennifer Sanchez and is operated with the help of student volunteers. The Food Pantry is run by Graduate Student Leaders Marisol Luna and Fankie De La Pena. If you would like to help these wonderful organizations by donating to the Food Pantry or volunteering for either the Food Pantry or the Edible Garden. Information and sign-up is located on their website found at https://www.csub.edu/sustainability/.
For those students who are still attending any sort of on-campus instruction there are still some options that are available to you as well. Our chain eateries such as Starbucks, Panda Express, and Which Wich are still open throughout the week along with campus favorites like the Runner Express and Walter’s Coffee and Snack Bar in the library. The Runner Café resumes operation as of Jan.23rd. To find times of operation and menus go to https://csub.campusdish.com.