New developments for spring sports and athletics

C.S.U.B. Athletics

Graphic of what Harvey Hall Plaza will look like upon completion. Graphic provided by C.S.U.B. Athletics Department

Damian Lopez, Digital Managing Editor

The Big West Conference Board of Directors is allowing for spring sports to compete with an altered schedule that includes frequent health screenings, according to Kenneth Siegfried, Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs at California State University, Bakersfield. 

Expecting to begin practice in late January, baseball, beach volleyball, softball, golf, and outdoor track and field will see a return with an altered season that will be without an audience in the stands. 

Sports originally postponed such as cross country, swimming and diving, soccer, indoor track and field, and volleyball, are officially cancelled and are expected to return later in 2021. 

The men’s and women’s basketball teams are currently competing, while wrestling begins the season on January 24, 2020 against Stanford University and Little Rock University. 

According to Siegfried, the only facilities accessible to student athletes are the Icardo Center, the wrestling room, and despite there being no swimming season, the Hillman Aquatic Center is open for three swimmers who are attempting to qualify for the Olympics. 

Renovations to the area in front of the Icardo Center, named Harvey Hall Plaza, expect to be completed in April or possibly May according to Karen Langston, Senior Associate Director of Athletics and Capital Projects.  

The renovation intends to bring a livelihood to the area in front of the Icardo Center for a greater experience during events, and connect the Student Health Center with roundabout access.