Two Join Basketball Team

Matt Lavelle, Sports Writer

CSU Bakersfield men’s basketball coach Rod Barnes has officially gotten two players for his 2021-22 team, as Brian Washington and Dalph Panopio signed their letters of intent, according to a California State University Bakersfield press release.

“We are excited to announce the signing of Brian Washington,” said Barnes of the 6 foot 8 Washington who is a sophomore at Navarro College. “He is an athletic forward who plays with a lot of toughness and grit. He is an elite-level rebounder and defensive player. Brian has a very high IQ and he impacts the game in so many ways.”

A highly-regarded student-athlete, Washington’s talents drew strong interest from several Power 5 schools,”

Soon after the signing of Washington, CSU Bakersfield added another player in Dalph Panopio.

“We are excited to add Dalph to our ‘Runner family,” said Barnes, 10th-year Head Coach.

“Dalph is a very solid guard that is fundamentally sound. He has played against international competition for several years. He has a ton of experience playing against and with high-level players.”

A standout prep player, Panopio competed for Stellazzura Basketball Academy. The guard concluded his time with Stellazzura by leaving a lasting impression at the Euroleague Basketball Adidas Next Generation Tournament in Belgrade, Serbia. During that four-game tourney, Panopio averaged 17.8 points, 5.5 assists, 2.8 rebounds, and 1.4 steals a contest against some of Europe’s top high school players