CSUB hosts first ever Giving Day

Matthew Lavelle, Assistant Sports Editor

CSU Bakersfield will be hosting its first ever Giving Day in honor of the university’s 50th anniversary on Oct. 1.  This event will run on all day, starting at midnight on Oct. 1.  

Giving Day is a 24-hour digital fundraising marathon. Several Giving Day challenges have been established to stoke the competitive fires of would-be supporters. 

CSUB will be holding a virtual anniversary celebration from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., featuring local musicians, guest remarks, and featured speaker Sir Richard Branson. 

The full list of events is available at www.csub.edu/50/events 

To help maximize support for CSUB’s student-athletes, CSUB Athletics is urging potential supporters to donate between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. during Giving Day. Starting as low as $5, supporters are invited to visit www.gorunners.com/givingday to give their support for the education of CSUB students.  

In the press release distributed by CSUB athletics, there is a challenge that has been generously given to promote more donation as during the 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. window. Bynum Inc. has committed a $2,500 challenge gift that will be unlocked if CSUB Athletics receives 30 donations within that two-hour window on Oct. 1.  

Along with the Bynum Inc. challenge is The President’s Challenge, in which CSUB President Lynnette Zelezny has committed $50,000 as a challenge gift.  

There is also the 1970 ‘Runner Challenge, which has committed $1,000 as a challenge, to be unlocked between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.  

Lastly is The Alumni Association Board Challenge, committing $1,000 as a Giving Day challenge to the CSUB Nursing Department, to be unlocked between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. once the 20th donor makes a gift. All proceeds from that link will be donated to the Roadrunner Scholarship Fund.  

The list of CSUB departments that can be donated to include: Arts and Humanities, Business and Public Administration, Social Sciences and Education, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering, Athletics, Student Affairs, Walter W. Stiern Library, Antelope Valley, Extended Education, and Global Outreach, Alumni Association and an option to choose another program.  

CSUB Athletics is proud to have over 300 scholar-athletes representing 16 NCAA Division I sports. They have been recognized both athletically and academically. CSUB scholar-athletes have won seven conference championships, donated over 3,000 community service hours in one year, and achieved a GPA of 3.0 or higher in 10 consecutive semesters. 

GoRunners.com added, “please consider joining us on Thursday, October 1, at www.GoRunners.com/GivingDay with special emphasis on the 5 to 7 p.m. window. Help us unlock that Bynum Inc. challenge gift!”