Virtual Runner Walk and Talk: Zelezny talks CARES act, fall 2020 and commencement

Megan Tishma, Reporter

In the last virtual Runner Walk and Talk of the spring semester, President Lynnette Zelezny began by congratulating graduates on their hard work during a difficult time. She also thanked staff and other students for making it through the semester.  

Zelezny announced that the CARES Act would now be a one-step process, no longer requiring any type of application. All degree-seeking CSU Bakersfield students will be receiving the money from the CARES Act.   

She expressed that they are working hard to get funding to students before the end of the month so students will be able to pay their bills. The exact amounts of the aid will be coming soon.   

It is still unknown if fall classes will be online or in-person. Students’ health is the main concern in deciding what to do going forward. 

“Fall will be driven by what is the healthy choice for students, faculty, and staff,” Zelezny said. 

She also expressed the same sentiment for a fall commencement ceremony; it will be coming when it is safe for students and families to celebrate together.   

As for graduation day, Zelezny said they may be working on some celebratory surprises for graduates virtually.   

Summer classes will be all online and the summer session will start May 26.  Financial aid for the summer session will start being disbursed May 18.   

Many students have expressed they are having a hard time getting ahold of the Financial Aid office.  Dwyane Cantrell, Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management, said that Financial Aid is experiencing high call volumes while working remotely.   

The best way to get through to Financial Aid is to email them directly at finaid@csub.edu. If that is unsuccessful, email Cantrell at [email protected]. 

The Counseling Center will still be available to students virtually who are attending summer session.   

For anyone still in need of a Chromebook or Wi-Fi hot spot, there are still some available to check out from the Walter Stiern Library. Students can contact the library through their web page at library.CSUB.edu.