The Runner Spotlight: Jacen Roberson

Mari Woodmansee

CSUB redshirt freshman Jacen Roberson takes a swing at the Alumni Game on Feb. 1 at Hardt Field.

Elisa Fuentes, Sports Co-Editor

For this edition of the Runner Spotlight, we look at CSU Bakersfield redshirt freshman outfielder Jacen Roberson. 

Roberson is a Bakersfield native who has been playing sports from a young age. He took to sports, like football and basketball, early on and would compete with his brother Cameron on a regular basis while playing on the same team. 

While attending Garces Memorial High School, Roberson continued playing with his brother. The two played football and basketball together, but Roberson said that he took up baseball as his own sport. His reason for choosing baseball was his family. Being a constant support system for him, they always expressed their belief in his ability to play, and that is all the motivation he needed to pursue the game of baseball. 

Once he reached his junior year at Garces, Roberson started to win over scouts with his talent.  Scouts from about 22 teams wanted to draft him and he declined each one. One of those teams, and first team to make an offer, was his dream team, the Los Angeles Dodgers. 

“It happened so fastI don’t think I would have been ready for it mentally and physically. So, I decided to play the three years out, hopefully in college, and hopefully get redrafted again, Roberson said. 

Roberson decided to take his baseball career to college and come to CSUB instead of drafting into the MLB because he felt it was too soon and wanted to wait until he was in college. Since starting this year on the CSUB baseball team, Roberson already experienced what he said is the perfect moment. In the first home game against Washington State University, Roberson’s first hit was a triple that led to CSUB’s first run. What made the moment special was having all his family witness his first collegiate hit and triple. 

“That hit was just… I couldn’t write it better than that. It was just perfect. That was probably my most memorable moment.” 

Even though the season has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, Roberson said that if his baseball career should come to an end, he would still be satisfied because of that triple. With all the games he went to growing up, all the drafts in high school, and all the times his family cheered him on during his games, nothing compares to that moment for him. 

Despite the early ending to the baseball season, Roberson is excited to play in the Cape Cod League this summer in Massachusetts. He signed a one-season contract for the league which is scheduled to begin on June 13, provided it is not postponed or cancelled as well due to the pandemic. 

“Just having the opportunity alone is big. Usually the players that play really well there get extra looks for the MLB, so that will help. Anything will help if you play well there,” Robertson said. 

Until then, Roberson is enjoying spending time with his family while his brother is home visiting from the University of Massachusetts.