CSUB swim brings home 6 titles in an impressive showing at their final WAC Championships

Chris Burdick, Sports Co-Editor

The CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners took over the swimming lanes for their final Western Athletic Conference Championship Tournament in Houston, Texas. CSUB came into the CRWC Natatorium with high expectations and did not disappoint The team finished an intense weekend of competition by bringing home six WAC titles and nine total first-team All-Conference performances while also setting 10 new school records. 

Sophomore Autumn D’Arcy and freshman Mikayla Popham shined in their events to bring home all six total titles. D’Arcy earned three individual WAC titles in the 200-individula medley and 100 and 200-flystroke events. Popham contributed two more individual WAC titles in the freestyle event, and missed a third by less than half a second. Popham was also selected first-team All-Conference three times. 

Popham and D’Arcy teamed up with senior Maddie Cosgrove and freshman Ellice Richman to pick up a sixth title on the weekend in the 400-freestroke relay event. The two also teamed up with sophomore Tabea Mose and freshman Lindsey Sohoel-Smith to set two new school records in the 200 and 400 medley relay events. 

D’Arcy set a new seasonal record over the weekend on top of all her individual accomplishments. With her fourth title win in the tournament, D’Arcy brought her win total up to 25 wins in this season alone. This breaks former CSUB swimmer Paola Hernandez’s longstanding record of 23 wins in a single season. 

Juniors Kris Rogic and Ryan Brimer led the way for the men’s side of the team. Rogic was selected twice for second-team All-WAC honors for his performances in the 200-individual medley and 100 and 200-backstroke events. He also broke six different school records in multiple events throughout the weekend. Brimer took third in the 200-freestroke, giving him a first team All-League nod. In a stellar performance, Brimer also broke two school records, including the fastest time in the 200-freestyle event, breaking a record that Rogic had set just a few days earlier. 

The Roadrunner women’s team finished fifth on their side of the tournament with 434 total points. The CSUB men’s team finished with a 341.5 total points on the weekend, putting them sixth out of seven overall 

This is not the end of the 2020 season however, as some CSUB swimmers who have qualified will continue on to Cleveland, OH for the National Invitational Championship Tournament scheduled to start on March 11.