CSUB Theatre Department sets up for a rockin’ semester

The cast for CSUB’s Fall 2019 performance of Antigone take a final bow in the Dore Theatre on Oct 26, 2019

Lauren Hill

It’s officially the Spring 2020 semester, and the performance schedule for the CSU Bakersfield Theatre Department is sure to guarantee a rockin’ school year.In March, the Theater Department will debut this year’s spring musical, The Who’s classic rock opera, “Tommy.” With music written by legend Pete Townshend, “Tommy” tells the story of a traumatized child who finds salvation and glory in LSD and pinball wizardry.According to the CSUB website’s Theatre page, “after witnessing a terrible incident, young Tommy is traumatized into catatonia and as he grows, he suffers abuse at the hands of his sadistic relatives and neighbors. As an adolescent, he’s found to have an uncanny knack for playing pinball and when his mother finally breaks through his catatonia, he becomes an international pinball superstar who is worshipped and adored.”The production will run on Mar. 5, 6, 7, 13, and 14, with curtain at 8 p.m. each evening, and one Sunday matinee on Mar. 15 at 2 p.m. All performances will be in the CSUB Dore Theatre. Tickets are 15 dollars for general admission, 10 dollars for seniors and CSUB Staff and Faculty, and seven dollars for students with identification.The next production by the Theatre Department will be the Theatre of New Voices, in which students will write, direct, and perform in one-act shows.According to CSUB’s theater web page, six short plays were selected in a competition in the Spring of 2019 for the New Voicesperformance.The Theatre of New Voices will run on April 2, 3, and 4 at 8 p.m., as well as April 4 and 5 at 2 p.m. in the Dore Theatre. Pricing will be the same as the spring musical.To close out the year, all spring 2020 graduating seniors in the theatre major will present projects that are representative of their education. The Spring Theatre Senior Projects will show one night only, Tuesday, May 12 at 7 p.m., with first-come-first-serve seating for free in the Dore Theatre.