2020 spring sports preview

The CSUB baseball team looks on during the Tuesday, May 1 game against UC Santa Barbara at Hardt Field. Photos by Ricky Gonzales/ The Runner

Dustin Tompkins, Sports Reporter

Track and field, men’s baseball, women’s softball, and women’s beach volleyball will all be getting ready for another exciting season of competition, while swimming and diving and wrestling will be continuing their season this spring.

The ‘Runner’s track and field is set to return this semester. Unfortunately, there are no home events to attend this season for outdoor track and field. The team will be travelling to four different states for their first four meets, with competitions in Flagstaff, AZ, Albuquerque, NM, Norman, OK, and Boise ID.

Director of Track and Field Marcia Mansur-Wentworth and her staff look to have a successful season as the ‘Runners approach their first meet. The women’s indoor team is set to compete on Jan. 10 in Flagstaff, AZ against Northern Arizona University. For those who don’t mind travelling, there are several events a few hours out of town. The first is in Long Beach, CA on Friday, Mar. 6 through Saturday, Mar. 7.

Men’s baseball will have a new look this season as head coach Jeremy Beard adds a lot of new faces to the team this year. The signing of former MLB player and new assistant coach Mike Kinkade will help boost the ‘Runners as they hope to have a successful season

Their first home game will be on Friday, Feb. 14 at 6:00 p.m. against Washington State at Hardt Field. The two teams will compete three times in three days with matchups on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 1:00 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 16 at 12:00 p.m.

Women’s softball is set to begin in the spring as well. Led by head coach Crissy Buck-Ziegler, they look to reestablish themselves this season as WAC conference contenders. After losing a close game last year to Grand Canyon University in the conference championships, they have their sights set on returning to win.

Senior infielder Cydney Curran ended the season with memorable moments. The Hawaii native is ranked second in the nation in triples and triples per game. She also leads the NCAA Division 1 in doubles per game. Softball’s schedule has not been released yet.

Finally, the women’s beach volleyball team will be starting their new season in the spring. Led by head coach Cesar Benatti, they look to notch their first winning record since the 2014 season. Beach volleyball has not released their schedule as well.

The ‘Runner athletic programs are making the transition to the Big West conference next fall, but the beach volleyball program has not played in WAC and has been in the Big West. They were unfortunately eliminated in the NCAA championships last year, but look to improve upon last year’s mark. Standout players from last season are redshirt sophomore Brooke Boiseau and redshirt senior setter Sidney Wicks who not only play beach volleyball, but indoor volleyball as well.