Men’s soccer game ends with upset by Seattle U

Tony Hernandez II/The Runner

Senior forward Niklas Koerber assisted in the first goal scored by Ryan Goldsmith (not pictured) on Oct. 19 at the main soccer field.

Elisa Fuentes, Sports Reporter

As the CSU Bakersfield men’s soccer team went into their sixth game of the Western Athletic Conference against Seattle University on Oct. 19, they had a previous loss against the Seattle U Redhawks. With a 2-3 record in the WAC before the game, a win seemed to be imminent for CSUB’s Roadrunners, especially with a home-field advantage that had been working in their favor. 

“I am very confident. It’s a big game for us to go up in the tables. We know that Seattle is a tough team, but we’re a tough team as well, and we’ve proven that over our time playing this year,” said junior goalie Detre Bell before the game. 

“I feel positive about it. It’s a very strong opponent we’re playing against,” senior captain Niklas Koerbel said, agreeing with his teammate. “We have a chance to do better than last week and have to make a little bit of it up.” 

The ‘Runners carried their strength and persevered through the game against the Redhawks. In the first half, Seattle scored the first and second goals. However, CSUB came back at them with goal by senior Ryan Goldsmithassisted by Koerbel.  

“I felt happy and that something is possible. Great stride from Ryan and our followthrough to turn things around,” Koerbel said of his assist. 

The ‘Runners were 1-2 half way through the first half, but Seattle scored a third goal with about five minutes left in the half. When the second half came, they returned to the pitch and continued putting forth effort while showing how strong they are. They had some close shots, but none were going in the net until minute 56, when sophomore Carlos Armendariz scored a goal. Although more opportunities to score arose, the ‘Runners could not tie the game, losing 3-2 to the Redhawks. 

“In the second half, when we went into the locker room, we set a goal to come out here and win the second half. We did, but it just wasn’t enough,” Bell said after the game. 

“The way we came back was good, so we played well in the second half. We have to take the positives of today and take it into the next game,” Koerbel said about the game. 

Although the game was another loss, both Bell and Koerbel are not letting it deter how they both are looking into upcoming games. 

“We have to win our games now. It starts on Friday and on Sunday, and we have to get the points now and the wins. We can’t shy away from that.”    

“Next week, and next game, I think we need to go into that game the same way we came into this one. I think if we do that, and play like we did in the second half, we’d be perfectly fine,” Bell said. 

The next men’s soccer game is at home on Oct. 25 against Incarnate Word.