Free stuff at week of welcome

Sergio Hernandez, Reporter

Campus Programming at California State University, Bakersfield has a few things planned for the first week of school including the Week of Welcome Kick-Off.

School will be back in session on Monday, August 26, 2019 and throughout the week, many organizations plan to host free events that will be having free food for students, staff and faculty.

Back-to-school in high school means shopping, trying not to miss the school bus and dreading the sound of the bell signaling the start of first period. In college, its completely different. Something to keep in mind for first-year incoming freshman is staying on a budget. CSUB and its organizations are making sure students receive the resources and accommodations necessary for students to thrive, including free food and social events at little to no cost.

At the start of Fall Semester 2019, the Food Pantry will have a Pop-Up Produce Pantry from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. according to Joselito Flores, the Vice President of Campus Life. The Pop-Up Produce Pantry is located between Parking Lot M and the Student Union and takes place every Monday. According to their website, the Food Pantry is aimed at “increasing food security, reducing food waste and expanding nutritional offerings at CSUB.” Students can also take advantage of the free coffee and donuts offered Monday morning on August 26 inside the Student Union.

On Tuesday, at the SU Patio, a Taco Tuesday event is being planned as well. While being unconfirmed, Joselito Flores mentioned that students should look out for that. It’s usually on a first come- first serve basis.

“I know that we will continue to have free popcorn every Wednesday here at the Student Union”, said Kim Pantoja. Wednesdays will also consist of tabling, music and a nice hangout spot for students, according to Flores.

Friday, August 30, marks the end of Week of Welcome and Campus Programming will host the Runner Luau. In reference to the 25Live website, Domino’s Pizza is being planned to be served for students in attendance of the event. The event does not have a confirmed location at the moment.

In addition to the events being hosted that include free food, there are more free resources students may take advantage of. There are a few websites on the myCSUB portal that give students access to low-cost books and also free-digital books. Merlot is an Affordable Learning Solution created by the CSU system and is a free website. It gives students access to thousands of textbooks, learning materials and tools being used by instructors. The link to Merlot may be found in students’ portals under “Find Textbooks”. Students will then be sent to a different website and will need to click “Digital textbooks”. After, they will click on “MERLOT Content Builder” and create a free account.

CSUB offers an array of options for students running on a tight budget. Students are able to access the 25Live website once they sign in, to stay updated on future events that CSUB offers ensuring students get a bang for their buck.