Dominguez remembered at CSUB graduation

Photo by Sergio Hernandez: Tracy Dominguez accepted her late daughter Demi Dominguez’s Posthumous Degree during the Undergraduate Ceremony on May 24, 2019.

Sam Underwood, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, May 24, CSU Bakersfield not only celebrated the graduating class of 2019, but mourned the loss of a student.  President Lynnette Zelezny presented a posthumous bachelor’s degree to Tracy Dominguez, the mother of CSUB psychology major, Demi Dominguez.  Demi Dominguez died earlier this month due to complications that developed during her pregnancy.

At the ceremony, Zelezny said, “Demi was excited and proud to be graduating from CSUB as part of the class of 2019.  She had a promising future with the dream of going to graduate school to become a school psychologist.”

Dominguez’s death is the second blow to the school of Social Sciences and Education as earlier this month, Sarah O’Steen McArthur also died of complications during child birth.  

McArthur has been with the school of Social Science and Education since 2016.  She has been married to her husband, Marshall McArthur who works as an Outdoor Adventures Coordinator at the Student Recreation Center, since 2017.  A Go Fund Me account has been started to aid Marshall McArthur, and their baby Margaret Charles McArthur, get through this troubling time.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-marshall-mcarthur