Runners win again

Mark Nessia

Photo by Mark Nessia, gorunners.com CSUB vs. UTRGV on Jan.10, 2019.

By Vanessa Villalvazo, Sports Editor

The CSU Bakersfield women’s basketball started off the season on the right track with two wins. Their winning streak ended with their away game on Nov. 14 against The University of Texas at El Paso. The game ended with a result of 47-53. The Roadrunners hold a record of 8 wins and 11 loses.

Their game against Kansas City ended with a result of 67-57 handing UMKC their first conference loss.

From gorunners.com, head coach Greg McCall said, “I’m very proud of our players on how they competed for 40 minutes with constant pressure on the ball.” McCall added, “I was happy that we came out with the win. We’re getting better each day from top to bottom, but tonight our bench did a really good job. Their productivity when starters need a reliever is what’s going to be key for us down the line. Good overall win.”

The Roadrunners opened their game with a quick turnover, which put UMKC in the lead. Baskets were being made back and forth until the last four minutes of the game where theRoadrunners led a 7-2 run to end the first period. The second period ended with UMKC in the lead with a score of 38-39.

UMKC’s Emily Ivory opened up the third quarter with a 9-2 run, but the Roadrunners closed the quarter with a 9-4 run. The Roadrunners took control of the fourth quarter in the beginning, then lost the lead, but with only eight minutes and half to play they retook the lead and won the game.

Another victory for the Roadrunners as they faced Chicago state on Jan. 17 and ended the game with a result of 67-56, which was a similar result from their last game against UMKC.

From gorunners.com, head coach Greg McCall said, “It was a collective team effort all around. From our seniors, all the way down to our freshmen.” McCall added, “As we get deeper into league play it’s going to important we stay consistent with our energy on the defensive end and that we’re able to have everybody contribute on the offensive end.”

The Roadrunners will be on the road to Arizona as they look for the win against Grand Canyon University on Feb. 2.