CSUB star Jarkel Joiner to transfer to Ole Miss

Sophomore guard Jarker Joiner goes past a Chicago State defender to attack the rim in a game last season at the Icardo Center. Runner Archives

Chris Burdick, Assistant Sports Editor

Star Sophomore guard Jarkel Joiner has decided that his time at CSU Bakersfield has come to an end.

After making his transfer request public in the beginning of April, Joiner announced on April 18 via his twitter account that his time with the Roadrunners has concluded and he will be finishing his college career at Ole Miss in his home town of Oxford, Mississippi.

In his tweet, Joiner said he is thankful for all the memorable relationships that he has made in his time as a Roadrunner.

“It’s important to me that all of you know that you have played a vital role role in my life and I am forever grateful.”

Joiner finished his Sophomore as the Roadrunners in scoring and minutes played, averaging 15.6 points per game and 32.2 minutes played per game. He was honored as a first team All-Western Athletic Conference selection and lead everyone in the WAC in scoring in conference games.

Joiner is the first Sophomore in CSUB history to lead the team in scoring since all-time leading scorer Stephon Carter did it in 2010-2011.

CSUB men’s basketball head coach Rod Barnes has not been able to be reached for comment about Joiner’s decision to transfer.

CSUB information director Isaac Comelli says that Barnes will not be taking any questions about his final roster for next year until the transfer period has concluded in mid-May.

Joiner, who will be joining the Rebels this June, has made it clear that although he will never forget his time at CSUB he is “Mississippi MADE”.