Zelezny’s investiture to hold week-long activities

Fernanda Martinez, Editor-in-Chief

CSU Bakersfield is preparing to host a week-long of events leading up to President Lynnette Zelezny’s investiture on May 3.

The activities will commence April 27 with a land acknowledgement and shawl dedication, the highest honor bestowed by a tibe, to Zelezny from the Tejon Indian Tribe.

The event will take place from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Alumni Park .

“It’s quite common for universities when they are planning investitures for the first event to be recognition for the indigenous people for the land that we now try to steward and take care of,” said Jennifer Self, director of public affairs and communications.

On April 29, a screening of “Dolores” will take place from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Dezember Reading Room.
Self stated that Zelezny wanted to acknowledge civil rights movements in Kern County. Dolores Huerta will make an appearance to conduct a Q&A.

On April 30, Zelezny will host a Student Leadership Academy from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room. Associated Students, Inc. director, Ilaria Pesco, said that Zelezny wants to give back to students by providing leadership advice to them.

The school of Business and Public Administration will host a forum with people from the community on May 1 to discuss what opportunities lay ahead for students in Kern County.

On May 2, a dedication to past presidents will occur outside of the President’s office starting at 11:30 a.m. Former CSUB presidents Horace Mitchell and Tomas Arciniega will join President Zelezny. Self said that this event will be exciting and special as it may be one of the last times all three presidents come together.

Zelezny’s Presidential Investiture Ceremony will take place on May 3 at the CSUB Amphitheatre starting at 10 a.m. followed by the “Taste of Bakersfield” community reception from noon to 3 p.m. at the Don Hart East Lawn and Alumni Park. According to Self, the reception will highlight the different food and cultures in Bakersfield.

For a full list of all events, visit www.csub.edu/investiture.

Correction: 4/25/19

According to CSUB Public Affairs and Communications office, previous president, Tomas Arciniega, will not be able to attend the Dedication to Past Presidents on May 2, due to a last minute change in his plans.