Black History Month comes to an end with live podcast

Bre Parks/The Runner

Sensei Ashitemasu, author of ‘So, About That… A Year Of Contemporary Essays on Race and Pop Culture’, swaps ideas with the Black Student Union during a live podcast on Feb. 28 in the Student Union Multi-Purpose Room.

Aaliyah Beed, Reporter

CSU Bakersfield’s Black Student Union ended Black History Month with a live podcast featuring special guest Seren Sensei on Thursday, Feb. 28 in the Multipurpose Room.

Sensei, alongside a panel of other women discussed a wide vary of topics including race, pop culture, and the psychology of racism.

Sensei is described on BSU’s flyer as, “An activist, writer, and content creator. She has facilitated over 5 million views on her YouTube channel with content on race, pop culture, social justice, political activism, and sociopolitical theories.” Sensei is also an author of a book entitled, “So, About That… A Year of Contemporary Essays on Race and Pop Culture.”

The panel of women were open and blunt on the podcast that lasted about two hours. Panel member consisted of: Dr. Elizabeth Jackson, a CSUB communications professor. Dr. Denise Dawkins a CSUB professor in nursing. Faheemah Salahud-Din an entrepreneur. Kelly Dozier a CSUB staff member. Lastly Alex Thomas, BSU member.

The podcast was also video streamed live and is now posted on CSUB BSU’s YouTube page (BLACKSTUDENTUNION PODCAST). The recording in tagged with chapters titled, “Yes, All White People are Racist,” “No One is Questioning Your Blackness,” “About Black Academics and the Great White Fraud,” and more.

Sensei also stayed for a met and greet after the podcast. Signing book, taking pictures, and having conversations with fans. Some audience members even traveled to come see her. A video of the meet in greet is also posted on the BSU YouTube page. During the meet and greet, Sensei said, “I love the energy.”