CSUB sweeps Roadrunner Classic, defeats South Dakota

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Johnathan Wheatley

Sports Editor

With a chance for a complete sweep of the Roadrunner Classic, CSU Bakersfield volleyball (6-6) had its sight set on the University of South Dakota (6-6) in the finale on Saturday, Sep 15.  

The Roadrunners had already swept UC Santa Barbara (8-4) on Sep 13 and went four sets against the University of Montana (3-9) on Sep 14 to capture its second win of the tournament.  

“This weekend we really kept competing and the results were on our side,” said Degarmo.  

CSUB dominated on the defensive side of the ball, allowing its opponents to hit a mere .144 hitting percentage. The Roadrunners hit at a .308 percentage throughout the tournament.  

Seniors Briannah Mariner and Mattison Degarmo along with sophomore Desiree Sukhov were named to the All-Roadrunner Classic team. Mariner was named the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament.  

CSUB took an early 6-3 lead in the first set against USD. The Roadrunners separated themselves from the Coyotes by at least four points twice in the set but were unable to hold those leads.  

The Roadrunners held a 16-11 lead, but USD fought back and went on a 6-0 run to take a 17-11 lead.  

South Dakota held a 22-20 lead, but CSUB showed its mental toughness and scored five straight points to win the set, 25-22.  

CSUB took full control of the second set in a 25-22 set win.  

The Roadrunners started strong and scored the sets first three points, eventually expanding that lead to 7-2.  

CSUB never trailed in the set and South Dakota never was able to tie the score. The closest CSUB allowed the Coyotes to get was a two-point margin.  

South Dakota tried to stage a comeback, scoring two straight points but an attacking error sealed its fate.  

The third set was a battle in the beginning. It saw 10 ties scores and two lead changes.  

After a 13-12 score in the third set, CSUB finally was able to separate itself from USD. The Roadrunners went on a 9-2 run to take a 22-14 lead.  

The Coyotes tried its best to come back by scoring the sets next four points, but the comeback would fall short as CSUB took the set 25-19.  

The Roadrunners completed the sweep of South Dakota and the Roadrunner Classic.  

“It gives us confidence, and it gets us ready for two tough teams that we know are playing very well,” said head coach Giovana Melo on this what the Roadrunner Classic does for her team going into WAC play.  

“I think it establishes how we want to play at home. We want to be really aggressive at home but also take that on the road,” said junior Sydney Wicks on what this tournament showed about the team.  

CSUB will return to the Kern Schools court at the Icardo Center on Thursday, Sep 20 at 7 p.m. to take on the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (9-5). This game is the opener for Western Athletic conference play.