CSUB finishes strong in win over Montana

Back to Article
Back to Article

Johnathan Wheatley

Sports Editor

On Friday, Sep. 14, CSU Bakersfield volleyball (5-6) took on the University of Montana (2-9) in the second game of the Roadrunner Classic for CSUB.  

After defeating UC Santa Barbara on Sep 13 in the first game of the Roadrunner Classic, the Roadrunners looked to remain undefeated at home.  

The first set was tightly contested in the beginning. The Roadrunners took control of the set after two straight attacking errors by Montana and took a 11-6 lead.  

The Grizzles brought the score to within a point, but CSUB fought it off and went on a 6-1 run and took a commanding 18-12 lead.  

Sophomore Desiree Sukhov sealed the first set for the Roadrunners, as CSUB took the first set 25-18.  

CSUB managed to hold Montana to a .000 hitting percentage in the first set.  

CSUB struggled in the second set and were never able to create momentum.  

After losing the first three points of the set, the Roadrunners responded by scoring three points of their own to tie it at 3-3.  

Both teams battled for control of the second set and after a 9-9 tie, Montana took control by going on a 9-2 run and taking a 18-11 lead over the Roadrunners.  

CSUB could not put a run of its own together as it fell in the second set, 19-25.  

Coming out of the locker room, the Roadrunners looked like they had a fire under them and it showed.  

“We all wanted to focus on being two percent better from what we were at the beginning of the match to that point,” said redshirt junior Sydney Wicks.  

It was once again a closely contested beginning, with the score going back and forth all the way to 10-10. This is when CSUB took control of the third set.  

After the 10-10 tie, CSUB put together four runs of at least three points, which included the final three points of the set.  

A 6-2 run expanded the Roadrunner lead to 16-12 and a final run of three scores gave CSUB the third set victory, 25-17.  

In the fourth set, CSUB scored the first three points and would take a 5-2 lead.  

Montana tied the score at 6-6 and would stay within striking distance of the Roadrunners.  

With the score 11-9, in favor of CSUB, the Grizzles went on a 9-3 run to take a 18-14 lead and would eventually go up 20-17.  

The Roadrunners responded with five straight points and took a 22-20 lead, forcing a Montana timeout.  

CSUB would go up 24-22 and with match point on the line, the Grizzles fended off two straight match points to tie it at, 24-24.  

The Roadrunners responded and finished the game by scoring two straight points of their own and winning the fourth set, 26-24 and taking the victory over Montana, 3-1.  

“I think we need to use games like this as a reminder that we are mentally tough,” said senior Mattison Degarmo.  

CSUB will finish the Roadrunner Classic on Saturday, Sep 15 at 5 p.m. against the University of South Dakota (6-4).  

“We have to definitely pass and serve better,” said head coach Giovana Melo on trying to stay undefeated at Roadrunner Classic. “I think we can go back as we were yesterday.”  

A win against South Dakota would bring the Roadrunners back to a .500 record just before Western Athletic Conference play.