CSUB wins opener in Roadrunner Classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

CSUB wins opener in Roadrunner Classic

By Johnathan Wheatley 

Sports Editor  

On Thursday, Sep 13 CSU Bakersfield volleyball (4-6) returned home for the Roadrunner Classic.  

On the newly renovated Kern Schools court, CSUB took on UC Santa Barbara (6-4) in the first match of the Roadrunner Classic.  

“It felt like a long preseason, being away. To come home and getting this win its really good,” said Sophomore Desiree Sukhov on returning home.  

The Roadrunners came out and opened a 4-0 lead in the first set. UCSB tied the score three times in the set, but CSUB would never trail in the first set.  

Three of the last four points in the set came off UCSB attacking errors. The Gauchos hit .114 in the first set compared to CSUB hitting at .333.  

CSUB won the first set 25-20 and carried that momentum into the second set.  

UCSB scored the first point of the set, putting the Roadrunners behind the first time during the night.  

CSUB answered right back scoring two points. Both teams tried to separate themselves from the other by more than one point.  

After a kill by the Gauchos making the score 10-8 in favor of CSUB, the Roadrunners responded by going on a 10-4 run and expanding the lead to 20-12.  

A service ace by Sukhov and kill by senior Briannah Mariner sealed the second set of the match for CSUB giving it a 2-0 set lead over UCSB.  

The Roadrunners hit at an overwhelming .750 in the second set, converting 15 of 20 on kills and holding UCSB to a .179 hitting.  

Coming out of the half, CSUB fell behind early in the third set falling behind, 1-4.  

The Roadrunners and Gauchos once again went back and forth trying to separate from the other. UCSB managed to take a 13-10 lead over the Roadrunners, which eventually grew to a 17-12 lead for the Gauchos.  

CSUB responded with a 7-2 run of its own to tie the game at 19 all. UCSB then scored two straight points to go up 21-19. 

The Roadrunners rattled off four straight points to go ahead 23-21 in the set. The Gauchos would respond but could only get within a point of the Roadrunners.  

A dump by Mariner ended the set and secured the victory for CSUB, giving the Roadrunners their first three set victory of the year.  

“It feels great. We came back after a tough weekend before, so this weekend was a good start,” said Mariner on getting first win at Icardo.  

CSUB claimed its first three set win of the year. The Roadrunners dominated the net collecting 11 blocks compared to two blocks by the Gauchos. It was a one of the better games head coach Giovana Melo has seen from her team this season.  

“We played in a way I haven’t seen us play before. I think everybody was on,” said Melo on tonight’s game.  

CSUB returns Friday, Sep 14 to face the University of Montana at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Sep 15 against the University of South Dakota at 5 p.m.