Reading your way through the summer

Jacob Torres, Staff Writer

Illustration by Autumn Layton (Autumn Layton)

Fellow roadrunners! Summertime is here again, and what better way to kick off your summer than to immerse yourself in a good book? In case any of you are looking for suggestions about what to read, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorites. Some of these are ones that I enjoyed growing up as well as new ones I recently discovered. Hopefully, you all will enjoy them too.

1. “The Twilight Saga ” by Stephanie Meyer (2005) 

The Twilight Saga, a New York Times bestseller, tells the story of Bella Swan, a new student at Forks High School in the small town of Forks, Washington. She meets and eventually falls in love with her mysterious and charming classmate named Edward Cullen, who is secretly a 109-year-old vampire. The Twilight Saga consists of four books titled Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. All four books chronicle the growth and complicated relationship between Bella and Edward as she deals with the complications of him being a vampire to eventually becoming one herself. 

1. Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums a Memoir” by Travis Barker and Gavin Edwards (2015) 

This book chronicles the life of world-renowned drummer, Travis Barker, of the band Blink-182. It tells the story of his early life growing up, to all the trials and tribulations he had to go through, and his eventual rise to rock stardom.  

1. “A Series of Unfortunate Events” by Lemony Snicket (1999) 

This children’s book series tells the tale of the three Baudelaire children whose parents perished in a mysterious fire and are sent to live with a distant relative named Count Olaf. He is an evil, cruel, person that is just after their massive inheritance and will stop at nothing to get it.  

1. “Crank” by Ellen Hopkins (2004) 

Crank tells the story of a girl named Kristina, an honor roll student who normally stays out of trouble. However, when she goes to stay with her father in Albuquerque, New Mexico, she gets introduced to the drug crank or methamphetamine, by some new friends that she meets and ultimately develops a drug problem. The story is inspired by the difficulties the author’s daughter faced with methamphetamines. 

1. “GIMP: The Story Behind the Star of Murderball” by Mark Zupan and Tim Swanson (2007) 

This book tells the story of a famous wheelchair rugby, or “Murderball,” player, Mark Zupan. The story narrates his journey from disability to success in the dangerous and obscure sport of Murderball, and how he adapted and became a top dog.