Nicholas Torres philosophizes a future of teaching

Ernesto Leon, Editor-in Chief

Nicholas Torres

The study of fundamental nature, knowledge, and existence. To think critically and dive deep into analysis has become a joyous study for Nicholas Torres, the Outstanding Undergraduate for philosophy at Cal State University, Bakersfield.  

Torres explains that his time in the program has been amazing, and really enjoyed how small the department was. He elaborates that the size allowed for more one-on-one time with faculty that cultivated a supportive and personal environment.  

“I took race, class, gender, and sexuality with Dr. Palaiologou and I just enjoyed the conversations that we had, along with the dialogue back and forth between students. I also like all the different avenues you can take as a philosophy major,” said Torres when asked what about philosophy intrigued him.  

Dr. Olson, assistant professor of philosophy describes Torres as impressive and dedicated, 

I really saw this skill when I coached Nicholas on the CSUB Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl team in the fall of 2020. Both during class and when we competed against other universities at the California Regional Ethics Bowl, Nicholas effectively defended our team’s positions and was charitable and positive in his questions of other teams. 

He also describes his time at CSUB as challenging, being a double major in philosophy and psychology, and how much effort it takes on formulating concepts for his classes, but it’s what about the program he enjoys even more. When asked how he felt about winning this award he said.

“I didn’t think it would be me. I didn’t expect to win the award, but I’m very excited and it feels great to be recognized by different faculty members who I wanted to show I really wanted to be involved in the program.” 

He says that winning the award has been a pretty big accomplishment but in general, appreciates the courses he’s been taking as well as earning those A’s and B’s in classes that have allowed him to dive into different areas of philosophy.  

He gives advice to future students wanting to study philosophy explaining that any feeling of misinterpretation is okay, and so is feeling lost, and how significant it is to reach out to your professors for clarification as the topics can be very abstract and complicated. Don’t be afraid to explore the different philosophical concepts and find something you really love.  

As for future plans for Torres, he wants to take a gap year, but right after plans on starting a graduate program where he can eventually become a philosophy professor or lecturer that will emphasize the importance of ethics and applied theories in environmental and biological philosophy.