Review: Zero sugar still gives that Monster buzz

Jacob Torres, Staff Writer

Photo of zero sugar Monster can and case.

Energy drinks have spiked in popularity over the years, and are a necessity for many people on the go, college students included.  

Recently a new energy drink has hit the shelves, a new sugar-free version of the classic energy drink Monster Energy. It has all the taste of the original Monster Energy, but with none of the sugar, making it perfect for those who want to consume less sugar. 

Manufactured in Corona California, Monster Energy sugar-free first debuted on Jan. 9, 2023, and I’ve noticed its popularity slowly increasing ever since. The taste of Monster Energy Zero Sugar is almost identical to the original and has the same effects as well, making it the Ideal alternative to the original. 

It also has zero calories.  

I tried it in February 2023 and could not tell the difference. I’ve even made it my new go-to.  

A few years ago, Monster released the Ultra-Zero line, with no calories and a variety of flavors. However, there wasn’t a zero-sugar version of the original Monster Energy until a few months ago.  

You can find Monster Energy Zero Sugar at just about any gas station, liquor store, or grocery store in  Southern California. 

It’s the ideal energy drink for anybody who isn’t big on sugar, but still lives a fast-paced lifestyle where energy drinks are needed to get things done; energy drinks have always been popular and useful to college students and those who work late or graveyard shifts.  

Energy drinks are also very popular with the fitness community. It’s also ideal for those late nights at the gym plus, a great way to keep your energy up without all the extra sugar or calories of a normal one. Case and point, this excerpt from the Monster Energy website read, “People have been blowin’ up our inbox for years asking for a zero sugar Monster. We got it but this ain’t soda pop, dude! Making a zero-sugar drink, that’s good enough to earn the Monster M ain’t that easy.”  

Monster Energy continues in the same excerpt, “Finally, with a re-tooled energy blend, new sweetener system, and after hundreds of failed flavors, we got it right! Monster Zero Sugar: helps fight fatigue, improves mental performance and focus, and motivates you to work (I mean play) harder, so generally you feel pretty damn good. Zero sugar, Monster buzz…” 

This is the new Monster Energy Zero Sugar tagline. It encourages more health-conscious people that now they too can now reap the benefits of an energy boost without the negative effects or guilt from excessive sugar and calories. The new and improved lighter way to, in the words  of Monster Energy, “Unleash the beast!”  

With that being said, there’s a beast in all of us. Time to let it out.