CSUB students face massive delays receiving parking permits

Averi Yanney, News Reporter

A student receives a ticket while displaying their parking pass receipt number on a sticky note. Photo by Ray Alarcon Marquez / The Runner

Following a major backfire in parking permit distribution, California State University Bakersfield students are displeased with an unintentionally increased waiting period. 

Spring 2023 is the first semester that CSUB students were introduced to a new system for buying parking permits.  

Prior to the spring, students could purchase parking permits by logging on to their myCSUB account and paying through their CASHNet.  

CSUB recently switched to a slightly lengthier system requiring students to buy their permits through the Parking Management Bureau. 14 other schools such as CSU Monterey Bay and CSU Channel Islands also use the same system.  

Students are reasonably irritated to find their permits undelivered within the expected time frame. In prior semesters, students could expect their permits to arrive within two weeks of purchase. 

Since the switch to the PMB, some students have still failed to receive their permits even months into the spring semester.  

Kathryn Flores, a sophomore liberal studies major said she ordered her permit a week before school started and has yet to receive hers. 

Although she knows that CSUB parking management has provided a temporary solution, Flores said, “I paid $100 for it. I want to be able to use it and have it because it is only for a certain period of time.” 

Chief of University Police Marty Williamson said that they were not expecting a delay.  

Williamson said the PMB “lost internet for 10 or 11 days.” This caused further confusion among students that were wondering why they did not receive their permits. Additionally, this prevented anyone from moving forward to resolve the issue.  

The issue brings to attention concerns about citations. However, Williamson said that “as long as they have their temporary permit on their dash students won’t be cited.” UPD understands that the issue is not the students’ fault.  

Students can request an extension to their temporary parking permits if they email [email protected] with their name, student ID, and phone number according to an email sent out by Public Safety. 

UPD requests that students continue to display the temporary permits on their front dash until they have received their real permit. 

Students such as Flores, preferred the old system of buying permits better as the new process is taking much longer. 

“It was no longer feasible to issue permits out of the cashier’s office. It was taking up to 30 days for students to receive their permits by mail,” said Jennifer Self, senior director of Strategic Communications, wrote in an email. 

As inefficient as the new process seems to students, Williamson said the delay was not with the PMB but with the postal service. Williamson said the PMB could get the permits out on time, but it was the postal service that was causing massive delays. 

Moving forward students can expect to continue purchasing parking permits from the PMB website. Further issues with the process are not to be expected in the following semesters.