ASI election applications open for the 2023-2024 academic year

Jocelynn Landon, Photo & Art Director

Canva graphic by Jocelynn Landon / The Runner.

Associated Students Inc. Elections for the 2023-2024 school year are now open and ready for students to apply. All positions are on the table for any student who wants to join ASI and be a campus voice and leader. 

The application for declaration of candidacy was sent out to all California State University, Bakersfield students in an email blast from ASI Executive Director Ilara Pesco on Feb. 13.  

In order to file for candidacy, students must have completed one semester at California State University, Bakersfield, completed 12 units, currently be enrolled in 12 units, and have at least a 2.5 GPA. 

The application will close at 11 a.m. on March 17, and official election campaigning will take place the following week from March 20 to March 28. 

There are several positions available: President, Vice President of Campus Life, Director of ASI Outreach, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, and more. 

Descriptions of each board position’s responsibilities can be found in the ASI Elections Packet on the CSUB website under ASI Elections.  

ASI will be hosting events now through March to provide insight on everything that candidates will need to know.  

Conchas with Candidates will take place on Feb. 28 at 4 p.m. at in the Student Union Multipurpose Room.  

Learn S’more About ASI Elections will take place on March 9 at 1 p.m. at the Student Union Patio. 

There will also be ASI Runner Hours at 12 p.m. at the Student Union Patio on March 1, March 8, and March 15. 

All candidates will need to attend the mandatory candidate orientation that will take place over Zoom on March 17 at 3:00 p.m. 

On March 27 at 12 p.m., the candidates will be hosting a forum and debate in the Student Union MPR. Students will be able to ask their questions and voice their concerns. Each candidate will have the opportunity to respond so that students can gain knowledge of how they would represent CSUB.  

Elections will be held from 8 a.m. on March 29 to 11:59 p.m. on March 30. 

Each student will be sent a SurveyMonkey Poll email from Pesco to vote. Elections will only be held online. 

Students who are curious about how board meetings are conducted can attend open board meetings in the Student Union MPR or through Zoom. An email is sent out to all CSUB students by each Friday with the agenda, location information, and Zoom link. 

For more information regarding ASI Elections, visit the ASI Elections section of the CSUB website.