Project Rebound to host a discussion panel for formerly incarcerated students

Teresa Balmori Perez, Assistant News Editor

Canva graphic by Brianna Fay / The Runner.

California State University, Bakersfield’s Project Rebound will host a discussion panel for students within the community on Friday, Feb. 24, from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Walter W. Stiern Library’s Dezember Reading Room.  

This event aims to draw attention to the important role higher education plays in reducing recidivism rates and giving formerly imprisoned students the tools they need to succeed in their communities, according to an email released from Project Rebound.  

The program plans to foster dialogue with the intention of enlightenment and establishing a secure environment. They hope to inspire people on campus and in the community to be part of the change with this panel discussion.  

The discussion will have two panels. The first panel will discuss the obstacles to reintegration, including stigma, resources and opposition. The second panel will discuss the advantages of education for students who are or were jailed.  

The first panel will feature guests from the students and alumni of Project Rebound. The second panel will have guest educators and administrators from different universities, such as San Francisco State University, Bakersfield College and CSUB.  

For more information on the event, people can call the program at 661-654-3553, or email either the project at [email protected], or Stanley Peterson, the director of Project Rebound, at [email protected].