CSUB opens a pop-up expungement clinic for those with criminal records

Teresa Balmori Perez, Assistant News Editor

Flyer for Pop-Up Expungement Clinic provided by Jeanine Kraybill.

California State University, Bakersfield’s Pre-Law Program will offer an expungement clinic with the help of local attorneys for those with criminal records starting Feb. 24.  

The expungement clinic will help local residents get a fresh start for those with misdemeanors and felonies, according to Jeanine Kraybill, an associate professor of political science at CSUB.  

To be eligible for expungement, one must bring proof of valid identification, their case number if their case was a misdemeanor or felony, share if they did time in custody, and information relating to pending charges they may have, Kraybill said.  

However, there are some felonies that the clinic will not be able to accept such as severe felonies, according to Samuel Padilla, a pre-law student at CSUB.  

“For example, if you committed a crime where you had a gun or a knife, and it was a severe felony, that wouldn’t be able to be expunged from your record,” Padilla said.  

“There are certain felonies and crimes that are not eligible for expungement such as, you know, sexual crimes and certain other types of violent crimes,” Kraybill said.  

Kraybill also mentioned that it will help people get gainful employment and help people in terms of housing.  

The clinic will also provide volunteer attorneys that will help people with criminal records assess their eligibility for an expungement, Kraybill said.  

According to a press release by Jennifer Self, the public information officer at CSUB, the attorneys will help file and complete the expungement paperwork. They will then help file it with the court. After those steps, the client will then wait to be informed of the next steps.  

The clinic will not only help people clean their criminal records but will also help CSUB pre-law students get in-person training from local attorneys.  

Padilla is currently a student enrolled in the program. He mentioned that this program has been very beneficial for him because he is learning new things that he would have never been able to learn by just reading a book.  

The program has also helped him create professional relationships with local attorneys and judges that are teaching students skills they will later use in their careers or law school.  

“If people don’t have any connections in the legal field or any knowledge then the best thing for them to do is participate in CSUB legal clinics and events,” Padilla said.  

Padilla explained some of the training that students go through with the program.  

“[The clinic] will start off by making students familiar with the forms that are necessary to successfully process an expungement. So, they teach you about the forms you need to use to do it. And then they teach you the order that the forms have to go in,” Padilla said.  

Padilla explained that he wished CSUB would advertise more workshops and clinics in the future that the pre-law program offers such as the court observer program and the legal clinic.  

The clinic will take place at the Kern County Board of Supervisors Office, located at 1115 Truxtun Ave. from 1-5 p.m. on Feb. 24. 

For more information, contact Kraybill at [email protected].