Preview: Journey to CSUB: Experiences in the Civil Rights Era

Ashleah Flores, News Reporter

Flyer for “Journey to CSUB: Experiences in the Civil Rights Era” event. Photo provided by Miriam Raub Vivian

On Monday, Nov. 7, California State University, Bakersfield’s Public History Institute will be holding an event called “Journey to CSUB: Experiences in the Civil Rights Era” in the Walter W. Stiern Library from 5 to 6:30 pm PST.  

Assistant History Professor Kiran Garcha will be leading the discussion about the 1957 integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is also in conjunction with the One Book project of Kern County and their book selection of “A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock High School.”  

There will also be a Q&A panel with three guests, CSUB President Emeritus Dr. Horace Mitchell, current president of Cal Poly Pomona and the former Provost at CSUB Dr. Soraya Coley, and Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Thomas Wallace.  

Following the Q&A, there will be a presentation by Assistant Professor of Sociology Dr. Rhonda Dugan titled, “Higher Education in the Post-Civil Rights Era: Black Student Experiences at CSUB.” 

Miriam Raub Vivian, professor and department chair of history and director of the Public History Institute, said, “The Public History Institute’s “Journey to CSUB: Experiences in the Civil Rights Era,” whether viewed in the library’s Dezember Reading Room or live streamed via the library’s YouTube channel, will bring its audience an opportunity to gain greater understanding of the American Civil Rights Movement, hear from 3 current or former campus administrators about their personal experiences coming of age during that period in our history, and learn about the state of higher education for Black students at CSUB. 

According to Vivian, there will be opportunities for questions throughout the program and seating will be limited. 

For those not able to attend in person, the event will be available at
https://youtu.be/lac4PiczZlM .