ASI reveals final Halloween events and upcoming plans for November

Haydee Barahona, News Editor

The Associated Students Inc. and campus leaders announced events to close the Halloween season, along with their plans for November, at the ASI Meeting on Oct. 28.  

According to Claudia Catota, chief diversity officer and special assistant to the president, the Division of Equity, Inclusion, and Compliance will host its first Community Conversation via zoom on Oct. 31. at 12 p.m.  

Catota said, “I want to thank Carson and Ramneet for their idea on cultural appropriation, of cultures during Halloween, and Halloween costumes.” 

The upcoming Community Conversation will include a panel featuring Catota, ASI Coordinator and Co-Chair of the Indigenous Faculty and Staff Association, Christina Contreras, and Director of Outreach and Co-Chair of the Black Faculty and Staff Association, Darius Riggins. The panel will be moderated by Marcus Brown, the director of equity, inclusion, and compliance. 

Catota also announced that the Division of Equity, Inclusion and Compliance will be showing the documentary “A Song for Cesar” in the Dore Theater on Nov. 3 at 6:15 p.m. Special guest Andres Chavez, CSUB alum and vice president of engagement and outreach for the Cesar Chavez Foundation, will attend the showing. A panel will also take place after the showing of the documentary, which will be moderated by the Dean of the School of Social Sciences and Education, Dr. James Rodriguez 

Rubicelia Alvarez, director of student involvement, said the Sociology Club will host a Halloween and Día de Los Muertos tabling event on the Red Brick Road on Oct. 31 at 9:30 a.m. 

Alvarez also said The Student Union will be hosting Best Week Ever from Oct. 31 through Nov. 4 in the Student Union Multipurpose Room. Board games will be available to students for the entire week.  

According to Veronica Catalán, campus programming director, Campus Programming will be working with Dr. Jonathan Young, associate professor of religious studies, to host a celebration for Día de Los Muertos on Nov. 1.  

Catalán shared, “They will be outside the Student Union from four to six. They will be providing pan de muerto and champurrado.”  

Catalán said that Campus programming is also working with the President’s Office to host the First-Generation Celebration on Nov. 8, and International Education Week on Nov. 14. 

Vice President of University Affairs, Daisy Alamillo, said that University Affairs will be taking over Runner Hour on Nov. 2 for Día de Los Muertos, where students will have the opportunity to paint sugar skulls. 

“We will also be having a section where you will be able to give a note to a past loved one and pin it on a ribbon. We will keep it displayed on the altar that week at our ASI office,” said Alamillo. 

Although Ignasio Castillo, vice president of legislative affairs, was unable to attend the meeting, Castillo left a report of events leading up to Election Day on Nov. 8.  

According to Castillo’s report, Rowdy Rocks the Vote week will begin on Nov. 2 with the “Your Voice, Your Vote” event from 12 to 1 p.m. on the Student Union Patio. 

There will also be a Housing Rocks the Vote event in Student Housing East on Nov. 3 from 3 to 6 p.m. 

Takeout Friday will take place on Nov. 4. Students can fill out the Legislative Affairs survey for a chance to win a burger and fries from Moo Creamery.  

Director of Athletics, Kyle Conder, announced that CSUB Wrestling, Women’s Basketball, and Men’s Basketball will open their seasons in November.  

The CSUB Men’s Basketball team will play at Education Day on Nov. 3 in the Icardo Center at 11 a.m., said Conder. The team’s home opener take place on Nov. 7 at 7:30 p.m. 

Conder said that CSUB Women’s Basketball will have their first exhibition game on Nov. 5 at 12 p.m., and their season home opener on Nov. 27 at 1 p.m. against Fresno Pacific University. Both events will take place in the Icardo Center. 

According to Conder, the CSUB Wrestling home opener will be on Nov. 20 in the Icardo Center as of the Roadrunner Open. This will be an all-day event. 

“The more student involvement we can have at home competitions, the better. That creates the environment,” said Conder.