‘Scary Rec Week’ is back and scarier than ever

Baylie Ruiz, Features Writer

Students, staff, and faculty dressed up as zombies from past Scary Rec Week apocalypse. Photo provided by Lt. Mari Gonzalez.

This year the Student Recreation Center (SRC) will be holding spooky events during the week leading up to Halloween. These events have a good variety, including fitness, taste testing, and even fun activities to allow students to be more involved and meet new people.

According to Lea Molina, SRC Coordinator for Special Programs, “Scary Rec Week events are some of the SRC’s most attended events of the year. She also stated, “Our students have really loved these spooky events every single year, even the virtual Scary Rec Week we did during COVID.”

The week’s events started with the opening night of the production of “Little Shop of Horrors,” provided by the Music and Theatre Departments. The show will be at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 20-22 and 28-29, with their closing performance on Oct. 30 at 2 p.m.

On Monday, Oct. 24, there will be a volleyball game where students have the opportunity to play against UPD, ASI, and other staff members. The Ghoulish Games event will take place in the SRC gym at 5:30 p.m.

If volleyball does not interest you, then maybe cycling will. Join Cesar in the SRC’s Mojave Studio at 6 p.m. to participate in Indoor Scary Cycling. This gives you the opportunity to enjoy cycling while also meeting new people that may have the same interests as you.

“We hope to provide students with a fun safe environment to be social, meet new people, and get spooky during the Fall season during their class and study breaks,” said Molina.

On Wednesday, Oct. 26, there will be several events held throughout the day. The first, starting at 10 a.m. and lasting until 3 p.m., will be the Trick or Treat Open House at the Student Health Department.

The second event being held is a taste testing of energy drinks. If you’ve wanted to try the Reign energy drinks, go to the SRC north lawn anywhere from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to participate in the Witches Brew Taste Testing.

The last event on Oct. 26 will be learning the Michael Jackson “Thriller” dance, led by Myah in the SRC’s Sequoia Studio. If you love to dance or love the song “Thriller,” then go to this class and let loose.

There will be two events held on Oct. 27, both of which are at night. The Zombie Climb will take place from 8-10 p.m. at the rock wall, where you will compete to see if your skills are cut out to go against a zombie.

The second event is A Night at the SRC, where you can join in on an hour-long glow-in-the-dark Zumba, if you prefer fitness, or a pumpkin scavenger hunt that begins at 9:30 p.m., if you are looking for something more puzzling.

On Halloween Day, you have the opportunity to participate in three different events. The first will be the Trader Joe’s Trick-or-Treat Group Ride from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. If you wish to participate, you can meet at the Runner Ride Desk in the SRC lobby.

The second event will be the Zombie Apocalypse Scavenger Hunt from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This event is back after three years due to COVID shutdowns.

“The scavenger hunt is intended to help students become more aware and better prepared for emergencies by gathering items at each stop that will allow them to have at least a basic emergency preparation kit,” said Lt. Mari Gonzalez, a member of the University Police Department.

This event starts at the Student Union patio and will take you to several locations to provide you with important items. These items include “A first aid kit, flashlight, or other items that can go into an emergency preparedness kit that can be easily stored and transported,” said Gonzalez.

Now, you may be thinking, why the zombie theme? I had the same question. This event is held “near or on Halloween for an adult trick-or-treat feel, what better theme than surviving the zombie apocalypse,” said Gonzalez.

UPD, along with staff members and participating students, are encouraged to also sport their best zombie looks.

“Everybody is encouraged to dress up with an end goal of individual preparedness and some fun,” said Chief Martin Williamson.

On Nov. 1, there will be a Día de Los Muertos celebration on the Student Union Patio from 4-6 p.m. You can join the Common Ground club on the patio to learn more about the holiday, decorate sugar skulls, or view ofrendas, which are altars for the deceased.