CSUB will reduce COVID-19 protocols starting Nov. 18

Teresa Balmori Perez, News Reporter

Associated Students Inc. meeting on Friday, Oct. 21. Photo by Courtney Park / The Runner.

Members of the Emergency Operations Team discussed California State University, Bakersfield’s plan to de-escalate COVID-19 protocols on campus during the Associated Students Inc. Meeting on Oct. 21. This plan will take effect on Nov. 18.  

According to President Lynnette Zelezny, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that he will be lifting emergency COVID-19 protocols in the state of California. As a result, CSUB will change their COVID-19 protocols to align with the governor and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention rules.  

CSUB Chief of Police and EOC Incident Commander Martin Williamson stated that CSUB will eliminate the COVID-19 Testing Center on campus on Nov.18. The COVID-19 Testing Center will no longer provide surveillance or asymptomatic testing. If students are symptomatic or sick, they will still be able to go to Student Health Services for further assistance. Student Health Services will be providing at-home test kits as one of the resources for current students.  

“It’s not like we’re taking away everything, but we are trying to curtail the services and move forward,” Williamson said.  

Williamson also mentioned that after Nov.18 students will no longer be responsible for completing the health screening requirement. However, because of the CSU policies, the vaccination policy will continue to be effective as usual.  

Williamson explained that CSUB will still be providing case management to students in order to supply a form of safety measure. Case Management will no longer be working seven days a week. Instead, they will be working five days a week. However, if students have an emergency during closing hours, Williamson and Erika Delamar, the associate director of student health services, will be available and provide at-home test kits for students in housing during the weekend.  

“If you have symptoms, if you test positive for COVID, call Case Management just like we’ve done for two and a half years. So, we will still encourage you and we will still do everything we have been doing,” Delamar said.  

According to Delamar, CSUB will still be updating students and faculty with follow ups and notifications regarding COVID-19.  

Williamson stated that the Kern County Public Health Department has reviewed CSUB’s COVID-19 plan and has supported them with their decision. Williamson also mentioned that CSUB is trying to make the campus safe from COVID while still making it more operational as they move forward with their new plan.  

According to Zelezny, CSUB plans to talk more about these changes during the virtual Runner Walk and Talk that will take place on Monday, Oct. 24 at 1 p.m.