Writing Resource Center experiences sudden influx of students

Ashleah Flores, News Reporter

California State University, Bakersfield’s Writing Resource Center has experienced a sudden influx of students either needing tutoring or help with their studies.  

There were almost 300 students reported attending the WRC as of Sept. 19, according to a graph provided by Jacob Whittaker of WRC visits. This is the highest number ever recorded for students in this early of the semester yet.

Data provided by Jacob Whittaker.

Jacob Whittaker, the Writing Resource Center’s coordinator, explained that after the recent outpouring number of students, the WRC has reopened its hiring and as of now has hired 4 additional tutors to help with the overflow. When the semester began the center only had 15 tutors. 

Although it’s a long and tedious process to be hired, the WRC is continuing to find a way for students to get the help they need. Whittaker said that the pressure of large amounts of people does not take away from the quality of the WRC’s work.  

When asked about the overall goal for the Writing Resource Center, Whittaker said, “We want students to be successful in classes and writing.” Whittaker states that he wants students to improve their voice and overall confidence when writing.  

He also explained that there is no canceling of appointments by the WRC, and the center tries to get to everyone as best they can. By having an appointment system, it simplifies the process for both the tutors and students. 

Walk-ins aren’t turned away, but it is difficult to tell when the center isn’t having a busy day, which makes the status of its capacity very unpredictable. Whittaker said the WRC’s busiest times are around finals and midterms.  

Allyson Loaisiga, a student at CSUB said, “Chelsea is a good tutor and she helped me with my writing.” She also said that her experience with receiving tutoring at the WRC has been nothing but good all around. Loaisiga said that she fortunately didn’t have a long wait time compared to other students.  

Victoria Herrera, another student at CSUB shares her experience with Chelsea Arredondo, a WRC tutor. 

“She helped me fix my grammar errors and punctuation.”, said Herrera.  

Moreover, she expresses that the tutors truly care about the work they’re putting in, they don’t put in minimal effort when helping students or give minuscule explanations to questions or problems students may have. Even with the large number of students coming in each week, the Writing Resource Center tries their best to get to everyone in a timely manner and not to lower the caliber of their services.  

According to the CSUB website under the Writing Resource Center section, “Rather than just providing “the answer”, we assist students at all stages of assignments to help them learn to think critically about their own writing in any discipline.” 

The WRC also offers help through Zoom for students who have fully online or hybrid courses.  

The WRC is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.