Campus leaders announce projects and events at ASI meeting

Jaylene Collins, News Reporter

Possible campus projects and upcoming events were shared at the Associated Student Inc. meeting on Sept. 30. 

Illustration by Faith Okoli/The Runner

Deborah Boschini, the associate vice president for faculty affairs at California State University, Bakersfield, shared the possibility of adding a third level to CSUB’s academic structure on behalf of the School Elevation Exploratory Committee.

This project is still in phase one, according to Boschini. Thus, the School Elevation Exploratory Committee are currently speaking to graduate program directors, department chairs, deans, and more to receive feedback before they continue to move forward.  

“Eventually, the goal at the end of this process is to provide a list of benefits and concerns and some recommendations to the academic senate,” Boschini said. “And from there, the academic senate will consider our recommendations and they will make a recommendation to President Zelezny about how we should proceed.” 

Boschini said the School Elevation Exploratory Committee are planning open forums for students to attend during the second or third week of October. There will be multiple forums to accommodate students’ schedules.  

Although President Lynnette Zelezny was unable to attend the meeting, she left a report for ASI.  

“Please stay tuned for the budget forum next month, Oct. 17 at 11 a.m.,” Zelezny’s report stated.  

Zelezny also shared there will be a press conference for CSUB’s new Athletic Director, Kyle Conder, in the Harvey L. Hall Family Plaza on Oct. 7. 

Christina Contreras, the administrative support coordinator, shared the Indigenous Faculty and Staff Association is planning an Indigenous Peoples Day event on Oct. 12. The event will be at noon on the Student Union patio. Dr. Gonzalo Santos will be a guest speaker. There will be a native drum group and craft and information tables. 

Mike Kwon, the campus programming coordinator, shared that a Halloween event is currently being planned in Campus Programming.  

Kwon also said there will be a Pride Flag Raising Ceremony at the Admin Quad from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 5. This will be the first event to celebrate OUTober. There will be guest speakers and sandwiches from Moo Creamery. 

The Student Recreation Center shared a list of events for the week of Oct. 3 to Oct. 8. 

A tie-dye event will be held on Oct. 3. Students can bring their own items to tie-dye or receive a white t-shirt at the SRC north lawn from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. 

An adventure clinic will be held at the SRC Conference Room on Oct. 4 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Here, students can learn tips for eating and dining outdoors. 

A balance competition will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at SRC West Lawn on Oct. 5. Prizes will be given to the winners.  

A belay clinic will be held at the SRC Rock Wall from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m on Oct. 6. Students who attend will be able to learn about rock climbing. Additionally, from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the SRC North Lawn, there will be a “cornament.” Students can bring friends and play cornhole.  

A milk carton staking event will be at the SRC Rock Wall from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Oct. 7.  

Also, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Solario, there will be CPR and first-aid certification courses. The courses cost $70 for students and members of the SRC and $80 for non-members. 

There will also be an open play day from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Oct. 8. This event will cost $15 for students and $20 for members. 

EJ Callahan, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs & Student-centered Enterprises at CSUB, shared Mentor Mentee Day will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 14. 

Additional events reported from Student Union were Loteria Day on Oct. 6, Motivational Monday on Oct. 24, and Best Week Ever on Oct. 31. More Halloween-themed events will be held in late October.