What to Expect This OUTober

Liliana Hernandez, Staff Writer

This month of October CSU Bakersfield is going to be celebrating our LGBTQ+ community with OUTober. During this month there will be events that focus on important discussions and game nights. President of the LGBTQ+ Network, Nancy Smith explains that the purpose of OUTober “- is to bring awareness to and to celebrate the LGBTQ+ people in our lives”.  

In addition to the importance of awareness for our LGBTQ+ friends, is the importance of relationships within the community. The president is looking forward to the Network event this evening from 5:30-7 p.m. right before Expression Nights”. They also mention a paint night on Friday Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. hosted virtually by MAGEC and Campus Programming. 

Originally Pride was celebrated in June after Bill Clinton declared June “Gay & Lesbian Pride Month” starting in 1999, In 2021 President Joe Biden declared June LGBTQ+ Pride Month in 2021. When asked “Why October?”, LGBTQ+ Network president points out the many days that CSU Bakersfield celebrates because “-of the abundance of nationwide and international LGBTQ+ holidays recognized in October”. Furthermore, the president hopes that participators “find new circles of friends to connect with and support one another year-round” and that even non-members of the LGBTQ+ members find “this month’s events as opportunities to learn something new about this community and their victories and hardships for being themselves.”  

For more information on upcoming events please see OUTober ’21 –