Graduation will take place virtually

Adilenne Lazaro, News Reporter

At the recent meeting of CSU Bakersfield’s student government on March 26, university president Lynnette Zelezny told students that graduation this May will be held virtually.   

Other campuses are having face-to-face graduation ceremonies, but CSUB is holding back from doing so because of restrictions the region must follow, according to Zelezny.

“It is very important to realize that this is regional, so we are restricted by regional protocols on health and safety that have to be approved by Kern Public Health,” said Zelezny.

Emma Trujillo, a senior at CSUB, said she wants an in-person graduation ceremony at CSUB.

“I think CSUB students should be given the opportunity to have a graduation since it’s a much smaller campus, and I believe after all our hard work we deserve that much. I’m willing to start a petition to demonstrate that other students agree,” said Trujillo.

Zelezny announced that the CSUB Board of Trustees unanimously passed a resolution for a biennial symposium recognizing African American history and achievements, and for promoting anti-racism work.

Dr. Vernon Harper, Provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, is hosting an open forum on Wednesday, April 7. The discussion is set to revolve around how fall 2021 will go. On Thursday, April 8 at 8:30 a.m., there will be a strategic planning forum for the fall semester.

The Athletics Department announced CSUB received approval to have limited attendance at baseball and beach volleyball games. The department sent an email out to students detailing how to sign up to attend.

At 2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 6, students and staff have an opportunity to hear from the first Native American Poet Laureate, Joy Harjo.

Charles Lam, a member of the Academic Senate, said the standing committee discussed the student advising structure but has not come to any conclusion yet, and they are continuing their work.

The Alumni Mentoring Program is on April 5.

This post was changed on April 8, 2021.