ASI Report: Gender Matters, fall registration and esports

Adilenne Lazaro, News Reporter

At its meeting on Friday, March 19, Associated Students Inc. received reports from several faculty and staff members updating them on upcoming events and fall registration.

Assistant professor of Interdisciplinary Studies, Tracey Salisbury, commented that the thirteenth annual “Gender Matters” symposium will be held on Thursday, March 25 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Three special guests will attend including, Rosa Clemente, Tiffany Cross, and Dr. Safiya Noble. The theme this year is “Women in America: What Should We Do Next?” President of CSU Bakersfield, Lynette Zelezny will be conducting the welcoming remarks.

Salisbury recommended that students register quickly, as there are already one hundred out of the three hundred spots reserved. A link to register can be found on their flyer on the CSUB page.

Vernon Harper, Provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, shared a revised example with information on registration. The registration screens will be color coded to indicate which courses will be face-to-face, synchronous, or through Zoom. There have also been adjustments made to the course notes, which now provide more detailed information of the courses and their structure.

Jesus Barajas, club member from CSUB Roadrunner Esports, announced that they are looking to hold a Valorant Tournament on April 30. The game is free to enter, free to play, and free for all CSUB students. Anyone who is interested or wants more information can contact RunnerEsports@csub. edu or join their Discord for the club.

Charles Lam, member of the Academic Senate, reported that the senate passed the resolution on the academic testing center that recommends administration to look into using open spaces on campus during finals week for the fall semester. They also went through the first reading of a resolution on early tenure for professors.

During the Alumni Engagement Report meeting, they brainstormed ideas for marketing on their mentorship programs. Their Alumni Board President, Nancy Solis, is going to discuss the importance of networking. On April 5, there will be a virtual networking event at 5:30 p.m., the registration link will be available later on.

Zelezny, reported that Ethics Awards will take place on March 24. She also reminded that CSUB wrestlers are competing at the National Level.

Edward Webb, member of the Student Union and Organization Governance, reminded everyone that club registration for next year opens on April 1.