Black-Owned Businesses: My Sister’s Scrub

Products from My Sister’s Scrub. Photo provided by My Sister’s Scrub.

Kaleigh Day, Features Writer

Everyone needs a bit of me time in their lives. For many, this includes a curated skincare routine. In December of 2018, My Sister’s Scrub was launched to celebrate the camaraderie and sisterhood shared between women. In fact, each product is an ode to a friend or family member of the company’s CEO.  

The woman behind this sisterhood of self-care is 22 year old Alexis Kemp. The CSU Bakersfield Alum began the venture in her Junior year while pursuing a Bachelor’s in Psychology with a minor in Sociology and Philosophy. In addition, she was a part of the Helen Hawks Honors Program and Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.  

Given her level of performance, it’s no surprise that she would need a way to manage stress. As someone who practices self-care through what she dubs “Self-care Sundays” and “Me Mondays”, Kemp aims to give her customers the same escape from the stress of life.  

“I hope to give my customers a feel-good product that they can use after work or school to unwind,” Kemp said 

She has certainly succeeded at growing a following of returning customers who swear by the brand and its mission.  

“I’ve used both the honey and brown sugar scrub for my facial routine, and when they launched their first lemon serum I added that to my routine as well. Let me tell y’all — the glow those products gave me were life! They’ve grown so much as a company and I can’t wait to try all of the great new products they now provide,” said Janiece Cooper, a long-time supporter of the brand.  

Kemp, who also carves out time to speak for Young Women Empowerment for Leadership, a mentoring program that connects students in the Kern High School District with women in business, says she hopes to lead by example. 

“There aren’t a lot of Black owned businesses in Bakersfield and it’s not common to hear of someone as young as I am being a business owner, so I want to let them know that they should pursue their ideas,” Kemp said 

She also reminds these young women to embrace their individual journey to success.  

“I tell them to be creative, look for a mentor, and stay encouraged. Don’t compare your company or your journey as an entrepreneur to anyone else. For some people, it takes five months and for you it may take five years. Just remember to do it on your own time,” Kemp said. 

While My Sister’s Scrub has posed challenges, Kemp credits the village she has behind her every step of the way. At the heart of her business is the sisterhood she has cultivated along the way.