Runner recipes: Crock pot chicken bacon ranch sandwiches

Destinee Sims

These sandwiches are warm and filling with minimal effort.

Destinee Sims, Features Editor

These chicken bacon ranch sandwiches are creamy, crunchy, and delicious. With the help of a crock pot, this chicken takes minimal effort; the hardest part is frying the bacon! This dish is perfect for someone looking for a bite of comfort on busy days. 

Yield: 6-8 sandwiches 

Prep time: 5 minutes 

Active cook time: 20-30 minutes 

Crock pot cook time: 5 hours 

Total time: 5 ½ hours 

Ingredients: 

Add the broth and seasonings. (Destinee Sims)

6 large chicken breasts 

7 chicken Bouillon cubes 

5 cups water 

1 pound of bacon 

½ cup ranch seasoning; Hidden Valley is recommended 

¼ cup sour cream 

2 tablespoons flour 

1 tablespoon onion powder 

1 teaspoon black pepper 

Deli rolls 

Use two forks or clean hands to shred the chicken until it is in smaller chunks. (Destinee Sims)

Optional: Sandwich toppings, like cheese 

Directions: 

Place the chicken in the crock pot with the seasonings.  

To prepare the Bouillon cubes, boil 5 cups of water. Drop the cubes in and let them fully dissolve.  

After the Bouillon broth has been prepared, pour it over the chicken in the crock pot. Stir the liquids together, and ensure chicken is covered.

Cover the crock pot with the lid, and turn the heat to low. Stir the chicken after two hours, then turn the heat to high.  

Allow the chicken to continue cooking, adding the sour cream and flour after 4 ½ hours. Continue cooking it on low for at least thirty minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. 

Fry the bacon until it reaches the desired level of crispiness. (Destinee Sims)

When the chicken is done after approximately 5 hours, use a fork or slotted spoon to remove all the chicken from the crock pot. Place it on a plate, and then use forks to shred the chicken.  

Once the chicken is shredded, place it in the microwave to remain warm while cooking the bacon. 

In a cast iron skillet or pan, turn the heat to medium-high.  

Place one to two pieces of bacon in the pan, allowing it to fry for a minute on each side. Try not to let the bacon touch for long, or it may begin to cook the pieces together and make the bacon crumble. 

Use tongs to flip the bacon, repeating the process until both sides have reached the desired level of crispiness. 

Repeat the process with the rest of the bacon. 

Using a fork or serving utensil, scoop some of the shredded chicken onto the deli rolls. Lightly top the chicken with the gravy left in the crockpot. Add the bacon and additional toppings. 

Serve it by itself or with a side and enjoy! 

Do you have a recipe that is perfect for college students? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected] for it to be featured.