“Supporting Students’ Basic Needs in the California State University”: a CSU-wide discussion

Jennifer Samano, Features Writer

Image obtained from the email announcement sent to Runners via Outlook.

Kicking off the Zoom sessions for Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week, Supporting Students’ Basic Needs in the California State University will be held on Nov. 17 from 12 to 1pm.  

Supporting Students’ Basic Needs in the California State University is one of the multiple events going on this week that is aimed to raise awareness of the struggles with homelessness and hunger faced by staff, faculty and CSU students. 

While registration is required for students interested in attending the event, it can be completed quickly through the flyer sent out to all students’ CSUB emails.  

According to the webinar registration form, the event is being hosted by the California State University Office of the Chancellor and will be a “moderated panel discussion to highlight the research that has informed the ways by which students’ basic needs are supported.”  

The webinar registration from also states that there will be a panel will include Lea M. Jarnagin, Interim Systemwide Director of Student Wellness & Basic Needs Initiatives at the CSU Office of the Chancellor, Rashida Crutchfield, Associate Professor at Long Beach State, Jennifer Maguire, Associate Professor at Humboldt State, and Michael Taylor, Graduate Student at Stanislaus State 

This event is intended to inform and share the different resources and programs already established on CSU campuses to help support students’ basic needs. The registration form also states that there will be “recommendations for faculty and staff on supporting students in accessing critical supports”. 

For more information, click here to visit the event registration page.