Runner recipes: Pan fried cod and hush puppies

Destinee Sims

The fish should be a light golden brown when it is ready.

Destinee Sims, Features Editor

Fried fish has remained a staple dish around the world for centuries and continues to be a favorite in many households today.  

American southern fried fish is famous for its delicious corn meal batter, differing from the flour-dominant batter associated with the fish served with fries. In many cases, southern fried fish is served with hush puppies, fried corn meal balls that are seasoned and can contain vegetables. 

This fried fish and hush puppy dish is perfect for satisfying some of the strongest cravings. 

Start by gathering all of your ingredients. (Destinee Sims)

Yield: 6-8 cod fillets; 48-50 hush puppies 

Prep time: 15 minutes 

Cook time: 30 minutes 

Total time: 45 minutes 

Hush puppies 

Ingredients:  

6 cups corn meal 

2 ½ cups flour 

2 cups buttermilk 

2 tablespoons fresh garlic 

The batter will look thick like waffle batter. (Destinee Sims)

2 tablespoons garlic powder 

2 tablespoons onion powder 

1 ½ tablespoons black pepper 

4 teaspoons baking powder 

Optional: ½ cup whole kernel corn and ¼ cup minced green onion 

Directions: 

Mix the corn meal, flour, eggs, buttermilk, seasonings, and optional vegetables in a large bowl. 

Set the batter aside until after the fried fish is prepared, as the hush puppies will be fried in the same oil. Cooking them after the fish adds to their flavor. 

Once the steps above have been followed to prepare the fish, scoop a ½ tablespoon of batter up. Carefully pour the spoonful into the hot oil; the hush puppies will form a more circular shape as they fry. 

Repeat this process until the pan has been filled, leaving enough space between each hush puppy for them to float.  

The hush puppies will take on a more circular shape as they fry. (Destinee Sims)

Allow each one to fry for one to two minutes, then use tongs to carefully flip the hush puppy over. Repeat this process until the hush puppies have turned golden brown, then use the tongs to place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil  

Fried cod 

Ingredients: 

1 bottle vegetable oil 

2 pounds cod fillets 

4 cups corn meal  

2 cups flour 

3 eggs 

Use a fork or whisk to thoroughly mix the corn meal coating. (Destinee Sims)

¼ cup buttermilk 

1 ½ tablespoon garlic powder 

1 tablespoon minced garlic 

1 tablespoon black powder 

1 ½ teaspoon paprika 

1 teaspoon chili powder 

1 teaspoon salt 

Optional: 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper for added heat. 

Place the cod fillets in a Ziplock bag and add the buttermilk. Allow the cods to soak in the buttermilk for at least thirty minutes before battering. Ensure that the fish is entirely thawed before cooking, as any retained water will cause the

The fish should be entirely covered by the corn meal coating prior to cooking. (Destinee Sims)

oil to pop later.  

In a large bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, and seasonings. Add the eggs to a separate bowl and beat them with a fork until the yolks are broken. 

Fill a large pan or cast-iron skillet with at least two inches of oil. Begin preheating the skillet over high heat while battering the first piece of cod. 

Once the fish has finished soaking in the buttermilk, dip it into the corn meal batter. Dip the slightly battered cod in the egg, then in the corn meal batter again. Be sure that the entire piece is covered.  

After the cod is fully battered, use a spatula to place it in the skillet. Let the cod fry for a minute before flipping it, then continue to repeat the process until the breading turns golden or reaches the desired level of crispiness.  

When the cod is done frying and is ready to cool, place it on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process until all the fish has been prepared. 

Once the last piece of fish is ready, place the entire plate in the microwave to

Fry the fish until it turns golden. (Destinee Sims)

keep it warm while the hush puppies are being prepared. 

Serve the fish and hush puppies up with tartar sauce or mix it up and try something new! 

Do you have a recipe that college students would love? Send it in to The Runner at [email protected] for it to be featured.