Trick-or-what? Runners find ways to celebrate Halloween safely during the pandemic

Valeria Roman, Features Writer

Halloween is finally here and it is expected to be very different this year due to COVID-19. Many CSUB students are changing or modifying their plans in order to stay safe. Having Halloween spirit might be a bit challenging this year, but it is not impossible. 

Many students are going to keep the tradition alive and celebrate Halloween, while others believe it should be canceled.  

In a digital poll hosted on The Runner’s Instagram, 55% of Runners marked that they were still going to be celebrating, while 45% said Halloween is canceled this year. 

CSUB students share their Halloween plans for this year’s celebration, with some `Runners reporting they are keeping it simple by enjoying their favorite scary movies or eating their favorite snacks. 

[I’ll be] watching lots of scary movies and eating lots of candy!” Leah Truitt, a junior English major, wrote to The Runner. 

Truitt has her scary movies and candy ready to help her celebrate Halloween this year. 

Some movies that CSUB students can consider watching include “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Halloween Town,” “Hocus Pocus,” or “Corpse Bride” if they are looking for family-friendly fun. Other movies for a more mature audience include “Insidious,” “The Conjuring,” “Jeepers Creepers,” “Halloween,” and “Friday the 13th.” 

Some `Runners are still going to be passing out candy by taking the necessary precautions to ensure everyone involved stays as safe as possible. 

“We plan on handing out candy like we do every year, except for a few changes to comply with safety guidelines and give parents/guardians some reassurance,” Kelsey McJannet, a recent graduate, wrote. 

While some `Runners aren’t sure how the night may play out, they are prepared just in case. 

Daniela Montes, a senior CAFS major, shared how she is going to keep celebrating Halloween. 

“I bought candy to pass out just in case kids happen to ring my door,” Montes wrote. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends limiting the number of guests, hosting outdoor rather than indoor activities, and encouraging guests to wear masks for all group celebrations. 

Eventbrite put together a list of events that will be taking place in Bakersfield on Halloween night. 

Some of these events listed on Eventbrite’s website includes the Dress Up Drive-Thru by Canyon Hills Church, Paint Halloween with Lori at Coach’s, and CARFLIX Presents: The Haunted Drive-In featuring Gremlins and Insidious. 

These are only some of the events that will be offered in Bakersfield on Halloween night. Some of these events require a fee, ranging from $15 to $25. Tickets for these events can be purchased from the Eventbrite website. 

`Runners are not letting the pandemic get to them and are ready to celebrate Halloween this year. Everyone is encouraged to direct message or email pictures of themselves in their costumes to The Runner to be featured; names, grade, and major should be included in the message.